Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone got any tips on link building?

There are a couple of sites that I'm working on promoting that have very little to do with my day job, so I can't think of any obvious ways of promoting them, apart from blogging about them ;)

RedCardinal

Has anyone got any tips on link building?

There are a couple of sites that I'm working on promoting that have very little to do with my day job, so I can't think of any obvious ways of promoting them, apart from blogging about them ;)

Hmm depends how much free time you have (I already think there must be 2 of you :D ).

I presume this is to get into SERPs? If the're non-competitive search phrases and the sites *are not* too new, then direcotry submissions will probably get you well ranked. You just want to avoid going from a few links to many hundred overnight...leads to lower SERPs.

I have a couple of lists (~c. 500-1000 directories). I don't get the time to do much of this - I just outsource it.

The other thing you could look at is link bait. Something free or very memorable. Did you ever see the virtual bargirls over on beer.com? That went around the globe very quickly via email. Online tools are also great as link bait if you get some good ones (look at seobook or seomoz tools). You could give away some ringtones :D

I'm hoping some day to actually get around to using that RoR account you gave me to create a keyword tracker for Irish sites and SERPs (read *HOPING BUT NEED TO LEARN RoR FIRST*). Something very similar to DigiitalPoint but grabbing results from Google.ie.

topgold

From pictures

We have discovered an interesting thing when watching upstream traffic on podcasting.ie -- those who want to listen to podcasts often click the links in the captions on images we upload to Flickr.

At the moment, Flickr provides nearly 10% of the inbound traffic to podcasting.ie but we know that the audible crowd is also a visual crowd so attracting a photostream viewer to a podcast play isn't unexpected.

RedCardinal

We have discovered an interesting thing when watching upstream traffic on podcasting.ie -- those who want to listen to podcasts often click the links in the captions on images we upload to Flickr.

At the moment, Flickr provides nearly 10% of the inbound traffic to podcasting.ie but we know that the audible crowd is also a visual crowd so attracting a photostream viewer to a podcast play isn't unexpected.

Thats interestign to know. So people are finding you via Flickr? How are they finding your images on Flikr? Just browsing?

May I be very bold and inconsiderate to your privacy and ask what type of traffic volumes are we talking here?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Rgh - SERPS isn't the main reason for the links. I'd actually be interested in getting humans to click on the links. For example, with this site getting links on webmaster related sites / blogs, as I know people tend to explore what they are linking to. Do you get me?

topgold - that's interesting. So if I were to take interesting photos I could get clicks :)

topgold

Accidental finds

People are finding us in photostreams that appear in their public pages or in their contact photostreams. It doesn't seem to matter because one out of every 20 viewers from the Flickr images click into the podcasting.ie website. And then one out of every 15 visitors to the website listens to the podcast.

You can see the images that are on Flickr by clicking on the images published to Podcasting in Ireland and then see the captions on the Flickr images.

It will be interesting to see what evolves over time because I need to base real conclusions on a sample set of 1000 daily visitors. We're a new site with fewer than 100 unique visitors a day.

RedCardinal

For example, with this site getting links on webmaster related sites / blogs, as I know people tend to explore what they are linking to. Do you get me?

Its an interesting issue - I really want to start looking at organic link building but the Irish webosphere is just so small. Please keep us updated on how you get on as I really am interested in this area. I'm sure that your many sites, resources and help you give for free could be leveraged to get you some links.

If your non-commercial (adsense ok) I dont mind giving you a blog entry.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Rgh - cool :)

The ones I was interested in promoting were this site and armchair.ie

georgiecasey

I'm hoping some day to actually get around to using that RoR account you gave me to create a keyword tracker for Irish sites and SERPs (read *HOPING BUT NEED TO LEARN RoR FIRST*). Something very similar to DigiitalPoint but grabbing results from Google.ie.

That uses the Google API, I'm not sure if you set it include results from .ie reliably

georgiecasey

Yeah, but you're not supposed to just scrape Goole SERP results, you have to use the API. I think the API is the same no matter what IP you access it from.

georgiecasey

Haha, I'm just telling ya the problems I had when I tried to do the same thing! Google has detection software, when too many querues come from the same Ip, you get a big 403 forbidden page.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Done :)

Also new post analysing the AOL clickthrough data which might be a good read for anyone interested in how much traffic you can get from search engines.

Cool, though your link to search.ie is broken :)

Status
Not open for further replies.