Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

Hi guys. I have unwrapped my Mac and i'm looking for some pointers from fellow Mac users on software.

Adobe/Macromedia products are grand for their usage and i'll end up getting them but in the mean time, what free apps can i get which will spruce up my arsenal of applications?

So far I have installed Firefox, Opera and VLC. I'm looking for an alternative for iTunes (i use winamp on my win system) and a FTP program.

What applications in general should i get for my Mac. I wasn't expecting the delivery to be this quick, i was expecting it to arrive on Monday next! So i have littel chance to look up apps.

ButtermilkJack

Yep, agree with ddoran on Transmit, it's a gem. Also try...

TextMate - a really good text editor. Not free but worth the €39 IMO.
Linotype FontExplorer X - free font management app that's also a must.
Quicksilver - free automation app that just makes life easier (you'll probably need to get used to the Apple Finder first before this becomes useful, but trust me, it does!)
SilverKeeper - free back-up utility by LaCie for backing up to external drives.
Thunderbird - Firefox's companion for the email! (Apple Mail is actually really good as well)
Skype - makes full use of the built in eye-sight camera

Should keep you going, best of luck with the new machine!

ButtermilkJack

OpenOffice.org - free open source office suite. Opens all Microsoft files (.doc, .ppt, .xls etc...). It's a bit of a chunky piece of software but worth it if you only need to open MS Office files and don't want to spend a fortune buying MS Office. You may have to install X11 first but it's easy to do.

And just for fun...
Pac the Man X - as it says on the tin! :D

Cormac

Thank Buttermilk Jack , I'm trying to find my feet with the Mac, it's proving to be a bit more difficult than I first thought. I just have to un-windows myself I suppose. That will take some time.

Cheers for the tip regarding Transit, David.

Michele, I got an iMac 20" 2.16Ghz Core2, IGB Ram, 250GB HD, 126MB Graphics Card...

There are a lot of similarties between Mac and Linux. I know they are closely related but for someone with a lot of Linux expeirence, especially Ubuntu, the transition wouldn't be as hard as one from Windows to Mac.

Cormac

oh! OO on the Mac. Nice :)

I'm really going to miss using GaIM, Google Talk, Winamp and Filezilla on my windows pc though :(

zabbo

Quick Post,

Best apps are Parrallels, Transmit for FTP (anything from Panic is top notch)

Toast 8 us now universal

I'd prefer Nice instead of VLC :)

I've a Macbook 13.3"

ButtermilkJack

I've heard a lot about that app recently but I've been used to Transmit now for years and it's never let me down.

Anything extra special about Filezilla that might tempt me away :p...

Cormac

I'm going to pick up Parallells in the near future but it's not critical that i have it at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.