Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Don't think its exactly news ... too much ... but Magento seems like it could be about to do good things ... the code base seems quite clean ... the templates and so on ...

I think Nevf mentioned he's going to be using it on a site in the works.

Have a simple enough project and I think this could be overkill for it but I'll see. Don't really have time to go figuring out how to template it right now though.

n3tFl0w

Slightly off topic but they have a pretty nice community mapping link there. Very interesting...

nevf

Don't think its exactly news ... too much ... but Magento seems like it could be about to do good things ... the code base seems quite clean ... the templates and so on ...

I think Nevf mentioned he's going to be using it on a site in the works.

Have a simple enough project and I think this could be overkill for it but I'll see. Don't really have time to go figuring out how to template it right now though.
Just a note on that. I have the website in the works, or at least half in the works. Suffering concussion already from the number of brick walls i've hit, but i suppose it's the experience that counts.

When I heard about realex payments not so long ago, i knew there was a 250 setup fee, but i didn't see that there's a 50 euro maintainence fee + hosting costs per month which would literally wipe out all our profits. I can't remember what the reason is that we didn't use worldpay.

Now, our next problem is that realex doesn't plugin to magento. Got a quote from guys in dublin and i was looking at a cost in the region of €850 to have a module installed into magento to allow payments through realex. instead, we will be taking credit card numbers and then when we are about to ship the product, then put it through our system, which, in one way suits us better.

As forbairt told me already from a wikipedia link(iirc), magento is sluggish. It's not slow, but it just isn't as nifty in terms of speed as the likes of oscommerce or zen cart. however, it does handle SSL connections much better from what i have read online and seen myself.

I don't know myself what to make of the API. It's a nice feature to have if I had a company that i was intent on expanding, it would be very handy, but the likes of this feature is definetley overkill for the likes of what i'm doing now.

Modules, from what I have found in my trawling around looking for a module for realex, can be quite rare to find, with only a fistful to be found on the actual magento website.

Documentation, on the other hand is very, very common.

@ Forb, read this first: http://www.magentocommerce.com/doc/features.pdf , and then compare to the other shopping carts

I have set up a demo user for anyone who wants to see the backend:
Username: IWF
Password table22

littlegreenman

2 Websites

I'm doing two Magento websites. If anybody is interested I'll let you know how I get on. It is a little bit rough around the edges, but it has some fine features.

littlegreenman

Problem's encountered

No problems so far. It was a bit tricky configuring the server to run the system initially (involved an apache/php rebuild). I'm only at the design stage, and based on what I've seen I don't think I'll be needing to make any major changes. Perhaps a realex gateway if it doesn't exist. I'll keep you posted.

littlegreenman

Magento Realex

I wouldn't be prepared to pay that. I'd write the mod myself than pay that money, or if it was above me, I put the request on elance or something similiar.

nevf

or just save the credit card numbers and then process them later as are preparing to ship the product. and then just use SSL.

For a €250 set up fee + €49 p/m, realex provide an online interface that you use to enter the credit card numbers yourself after the customer gives the details to you. which, in some aspects makes more sense.

nevf

Save them where? How?
there is a payment option in magento named "save CC numbers".

Then when the customer orders the product; the order page for that particular order in the backend will have a little column with the credit card details, then (i haven't tried this bit yet...), you just head over to the Realex interface, enter in the numbers and the the card is either processed or rejected.

bare in mind, you have to trust all your employees before you'd set it up this way because everyone with a *backend* account can see the order page and therefore see the credit card numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.