My Blog Redesign - Albeit a Work In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

gav240z

Hi everyone,
Well I've been working on it part time for the past few weeks. It can be difficult to come up with something when you are working full time. Anyway I decided even though its not 100% ready I'd upload my new design.

Now some notes:
-I did not take into account the ie 5.5 BOX MODEL
-I also did not apply the PNG fix so IE6 will probably have a blue box around the website logo.
-I do plan to make further changes to the design
-Its meant to have a fun look not so much a serious professional corporate (boring) look :).

Anyway let me know what you think, so far.

Gavin Doolan

Its untested in IE versions under 7 and it appears to be ok in Firefox. Still to test in Opera, Safari etc..

PS: It should validate, but ironically the Google Adwords qualified logo link uses unescaped ampersand character causing 1 validation warning :(.

Cheers,
Gavin.

babyboy808

Hi,

Web 2.0 eh :)

Your header background color is bright red and is quite noticeable, maybe you used this for testing purposes? - I would make it a blur color instead.

Your layout doesn't fit right inside a 1024 window. There's a bit of a scroll.

hope that helps

gav240z

Thanks for the feedback :)

Cheers for the feedback.

I guess yeah Web 2.0, what can I say :).

I removed the background red (forgot about that). I was originally going to have a red header for the top menu area, but figured I'd stay with blue shades as it blended nicer. I removed the red colour from the BG which is only visible on first load (hence the reason I missed it) :).

With regard to the scroll, it appears to do it in IE some versions and FireFox 1.5 on some platforms. Its strange, but its probably to do with the borders I added to the side bars and main content areas. Fluid layouts are a pain :(.

I will have to recalculate my percentages to include the borders.

I'll be applying a pngfix hopefully tonight to take care of the header image. And I'll be continually refining the site, but thanks for the feedback so far.

Cheers,
Gavin.

gav240z

Spent some time fixing some things

I spent some time last night fixing a few things up. There is still some stuff to do, as always.

However I am wondering if someone using IE6 or IE 5.5 can tell me if the website logo looks correct now? I installed a PNG fix but can' test as I have Vista and do not have IE6 or 5.5.

I used Screen capture and Remote Access service for cross platform compatibility testing and HTML design quality assurance., but I suspect they are not using Javascript on their machines so the fix won't work.

Thanks in advance.

gav240z

Png Fix?

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have experience using the pngfix.js script to fix png images in IE < 7?

At work I have a program called Multiple IE's I don't know how reliable it is, but when I used the pngfix on my site it displays the png image transparency ok but it streches the image and it looks awful.

I've specified the height and width of the image which is apparently required by the script.

Any help would be appreciated?

Cormac

It's a little known secret that PNG8 files follow the same properties in relation to transparency and palette as GIFs.

gav240z

It's a little known secret that PNG8 files follow the same properties in relation to transparency and palette as GIFs.

Hi Cormac,
Thanks forgot about that one. I've now converted the logo to a 8-bit PNG. Does anyone here have IE6?

If you do have IE6, can you tell me if the logo now appears correctly?

I took your advice and didn't use the PNG-FIX. I read some details about the possibility of crashing IE browsers with the script (Mind you a small possibility), but given the extra effort required I decided it wasn't worthwhile.

I tested my site at one of those pay-as-you go Internet things in a supermarket, but I'm not sure if it was IE6 since permissions were restricted and I couldn't see the version. It did look and feel like version 6 though :).

Status
Not open for further replies.