Status
Not open for further replies.

myresidents

Hi All,

Check out myresidents.ie website. Its a CMS system for resident associations all over Ireland. Resident Associations can have a free website allowing members to help update the site and residents to collaborate with each other.
The main secitn of the site has a forum, business directory, property management ratings system.

Let me know what you think.

link8r

Hmmmm.....

I'm watching SA -v- Scot (Scots are up :() - so it's a quick review. I'm not a tech-head so I can't comment on your code. But I think your site is quite nice if a little over-whelming. When I look at it it looks like a Daft.ie/Estate Agent site.I think the imagery and icon is wrong - it's focused on a single house, a family unit - whereas the name tells me that it's residents group so I am expecting community, streets, people etc.

A couple of things are out of alignment, that isn't a biggy (I'm sure you'll get pulled up on it though). The site is a bit wide and the Poll results push it beyond my laptop screen (which isn't small) so that will P*%& some people off I imagine.

I'd suggest showing some resident committee profiles pages at the front - I can get my head around how to "Start" the site (I'm not the smartest..) - so while I don't suggest a start style button I would suggest some hints as to why should I sign up, what I get, what I need, who's on, what it does

The business directory is confusing too....because that is easy to understand, so it's distracting me.

What are the bullets coming down with the drop down menu for? I did a course on usability/accessibility that suggested these menus aren't a good idea esp for people with disabilities (eyesight, mobility) - I agree strongly and dont like drop down menus on sites, even if they work well.

What is the benefit of registering, apart from making your neighbours think you are a nosy busy-body who thinks they own the place? :p

myresidents

Thank you for your constructive comments, that's why I posted. Just launched it so now is the time to tweak it.

Did not really push for the Daft/Estate Agent feel, just wanted something clean and simple. Its designed for 1024 x 768 resolution so that's maybe why it appears a buit wide on your screen.

I agree the image on the home page could be more decriptive of what the site is about.

The drop down menus allow you to navigate to anywhere from anywhere. I have also provided links on each subpage relating to the section that your are in to make it easier to navigate. Not sure about the bullets - the should not be in there - will look at that. (Few tweaks to make it look nicer in Firefox)

I though by providing the 3 "start" buttons ont eh home page would be enough - About the Site - Register - Find Your Association would cover all angles. You also have the choice to view a demo, post the fourm, etc. just to the right of those. Will take your comments on board all the same.

That's what I was looking for regarding the business directory!

The benefits to residents will already be apparant once the view the demo. Anyone in an association or aparment blcok will immediately see the benefits - I hope ;)

Thanks.

I'm watching SA -v- Scot (Scots are up :() - so it's a quick review. I'm not a tech-head so I can't comment on your code. But I think your site is quite nice if a little over-whelming. When I look at it it looks like a Daft.ie/Estate Agent site.I think the imagery and icon is wrong - it's focused on a single house, a family unit - whereas the name tells me that it's residents group so I am expecting community, streets, people etc.

A couple of things are out of alignment, that isn't a biggy (I'm sure you'll get pulled up on it though). The site is a bit wide and the Poll results push it beyond my laptop screen (which isn't small) so that will P*%& some people off I imagine.

I'd suggest showing some resident committee profiles pages at the front - I can get my head around how to "Start" the site (I'm not the smartest..) - so while I don't suggest a start style button I would suggest some hints as to why should I sign up, what I get, what I need, who's on, what it does

The business directory is confusing too....because that is easy to understand, so it's distracting me.

What are the bullets coming down with the drop down menu for? I did a course on usability/accessibility that suggested these menus aren't a good idea esp for people with disabilities (eyesight, mobility) - I agree strongly and dont like drop down menus on sites, even if they work well.

What is the benefit of registering, apart from making your neighbours think you are a nosy busy-body who thinks they own the place? :p

link8r

I just checked my screen - its 1280 - and your site is still bigger (with the poll results) - so maybe your site is designed for a minimum of 1024 ?

There's a demo on your site? I didn't see it and gave it a good look around - this should be promoted a bit more, maybe a banner etc. I looked at it again after I replied, the business directory with the little monopoly houses - this effect is great, for a real estate business. Even the information (ECB reports, auctioneer comments) - its got property for sale all over it.

IMHO - the topics and images should be about, what you'd look for and what you'd expect maybe ? (I've just moved into a brand new estate and we've just setup a residents committee) :

1. Laws governing maintenance/upkeep/builders responsibilities
2. Requirements for forming a committee
3. Events and meetings that other committee's organise (as Ideas)
4. Benefits from joining the site (I know you have this in the intro I couldn't find but you can't re-iterate this enough)

Let us know how you get on, best of luck, it is a nice site

Status
Not open for further replies.