Need advice on my first step

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec

Hi everyone,

I'm currently studying digital media at the Digital Hub. It covers User Centred Design, Digital Marketing, Graphics and Content Managements Systems and Copywriting.

I've got a placement coming up shortly, where we'll be working with a company to develop a project for them.

We've got a choice of going to a start-up, a small established company, or a large corporation. Basically, I'm just looking for some advice on what the best option would be.

Where is the best place to learn, out of the three above? I feel this is perhaps an important decision and any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated, as I'm not really sure.

Leaning more towards a start-up, but again, I don't really have a clue.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give.

Cheers,

Dec

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I guess a lot would depend on what you want to get out of it

With a start-up they might not have a lot of actual experience, but they'll be able to move quite quickly
If you go with a more established company you'll probably learn more, but if you end up in a big corporate it might be a bit restricted

Dec

I guess a lot would depend on what you want to get out of it

With a start-up they might not have a lot of actual experience, but they'll be able to move quite quickly
If you go with a more established company you'll probably learn more, but if you end up in a big corporate it might be a bit restricted

Just one thing Blacknight, when you say 'move quite quickly', what do you mean by that?

K

Kieran

Having worked in all of the above I think I can add to Blacknights comments and hope this is useful for you

Start Ups

Start ups are brimful of energy and depending on their background may not have a ton of experience. However what they lack from in experience they make up for in the above energy. Some start ups may have more mature backing but in most cases you wont get the benefits from this as mentoring is rarely part of the service just the capital. You will learn tons here and have to learn on the move. From a personal example in the 4-5 years I am running Grange Web Design I have learnt literally hundreds of new things every week that my MBA (clang of name dropping)_ never taught me and I would have never learnt in the larger companies. It is exciting and would be a great experience. However...

Small Established Company

Small established companies may often have started off as start ups and sadly not all start ups succeed. Established companies in most cases are established as they did the right things and made sound business decisions. Even more so in today's economic climate. Research the history of these companies and see their background. You will learn what makes companies work on a day to day basis in a small established company. Their risk taking level may not be as high as the start up but there should still be energy there and you will learn no matter what.

Large Corporations

I have worked for some of the largest and though it may be easy to put on an indie slant what you will learn is how a big machine keeps moving. Big corporations make big money and although you may not link that to you starting out, being in its presence is an eye opener. They work smart and have procedures and processes for most things. Those words may scare off some but having such procedures even for the above start ups and small companies does help.

they also more often than not have some really really bright people on board who are making the company work and have similar entrepeneurial spirit as the smaller companies. Seek them out if you do decide to go there.

So What Would You Do...

I would look for a small company that has been around for 8-10 years and started off small but had succeeded pre Celtic Tiger and was still doing OK post bubble burst. I think you will get the best of both worlds there and learn a lot. The potential danger of the Large Company is that you will end up doing some mundane task and not learn as fast.

Good luck with it...

Kieran

moggwai

I would most definetely go with the start up..

Your restricted in what you learn in both of the latter and lets get this clear - If you have the skills or any bit of experience in Digital Marketing make no mistake, you will not be left on the shelf.
Job security should not be something you need to worry about - For me i only see the above option..

Status
Not open for further replies.