Need some help with wordpress...

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicformedia

Hi guys,
Need a little help. I'm trying to create a wordpress blog. Theres about 3 things that arent working for me.

First of all here is the link to the blog (not finished yet, still working on it, so I have to change things like the text in the logo which doesnt look good etc. and put in more content)

The Score

Now then, first problem.

Latest interviews are on the right in the box, with, as you would guess, the latest interviews with composers. However, when I click on Interviews on the top line of options, nothing shows up...is this something to do with my categories in my wordpress admin not being right? It even happens with "Features" - you click on Featues on the top and it has nothing, but you can clearly see from here that there are features:

The Score Blog Archive Dmitry Lif****z

Now second problem...or just something I want to change anyway.

The two columns of blank grey on either side of the main content - I would like to change these to a repeating pattern - say for instance something like this:

https://artist.pumpaudio.com/Login.aspx (notice the kind of "carpet" type pattern on both grey columns)

A friend advised me of the code which if say I was to use (just for example sake) the same icon:
http://www.pumpaudio.com/images/bgd_tiles/bgd_dark.gif

Putting the code into my style sheet for the wordpress style, it would be:

background-color: #7F7F7F;
background-image: url(/images/bgd_tiles/bgd_dark.gif);

However, this doesnt work when I put it in....

Here is the current code for the style sheet (as I said, I just want to try with that icon from pump audio to see if I can get it working, then change it when I get it done)

http://filmandgamecomposers.com/blog/wp-content/themes/gamepress/style-d.css

Now last problem. I want to use the xspf wordpress plugin in my posts. I have done everything the instructions asked, and the music plays fine, but it just doesnt load the UI for the player

You can see that here:
The Score Blog Archive test

In a test post, it just comes up with a small play button, nothing else at all :(

These problems are really bugging me, and I want to get them sorted before I get the site up and running - any help appreciated - thanks :)

n3tFl0w

Issue 1 - Your links at the top are pointing to pages - whereas they should be pointing to categories...

For Interviews - this should be the link The Score Interviews not The Score Interviews

Same for features - The Score Features is the real link.

I'll come back to you on the others when I get two seconds...

P.S. Sort yourself out with pretty urls instead of the p=5 stuff. It'll make it easier for you!

n3tFl0w

The second one - Wordpress themes work slightly differently with regards to paths to files.

Code:
background-image: url (blog/bgd_dark.gif);
This wont work becuase the stylesheet cannot see this path. you'll need to change it to
Code:
background-image: url (http://filmandgamecomposers.com/blog/bgd_dark.gif);

That should work.

n3tFl0w

As for the thrid one... I've actually never heard of that plugin so can't really help. Apologies...

musicformedia

this is great man thanks so much for this help :)

I'll try this now, and let you know in a few mins if that works.

How do I change the links at the top to link to pages, rather than categories? Is it in "Manage", and "pages" or somewhere? Sorry for the ignorance - I'm still getting used to worpdress... :D

n3tFl0w

this is great man thanks so much for this help :)

I'll try this now, and let you know in a few mins if that works.

How do I change the links at the top to link to pages, rather than categories? Is it in "Manage", and "pages" or somewhere? Sorry for the ignorance - I'm still getting used to worpdress... :D

How did you add the menu accross the top? Or did the theme come like that? There might be somewhere in the admin that doies it however I think you might have to edit the themes header.php file...

n3tFl0w

Wow... Complicated...

However. I think I see whats going on. Each of the pages are supposed to pull in the categories related to them.

So you have a reviews section and this is supposed to use the page template called reviews and this is supposed to pull everything in that is in the category reviews.

I think the features one might be the easiest to fix... cause its inbuilt...

Did you create a Page called Reviews? You need to create it and in the area labelled advanced options you need to assign it to the "Features" Page template.

Then did you create a category call Reviews?

Then go to the "gamepress options" page under the "design" tab and associate the reviews category with the Reviews Page?

musicformedia

Hmmm...yea I did all that. I think I may have screwed things up a bit, because I wanted to change some of the things that were standard in .pdf file explaining it all.

Basically it was supposed to have 4 categories:

Reviews
Previews
Features
Video

Now, I wanted to change one of these then:

Reviews (change to "Interviews")
Previews
Features
Video

So I made some changes in the style sheets appropriately, and it worked, but now they don't link to each other....I'm thinking that maybe I will just uninstall it all, and reinstall it, and start again from scratch maybe. It might have been that I just missed something when I created it all, so this is affecting it...will have a go and see what happens :)

Thanks for all your help on the subject so far - its very much appreciated ;)

musicformedia

Ah ha...I didnt select the pages correctly - when I created the pages, I forgot to select the correct page template for it which was most likely causing the problem - il have a mess around with it and see what happens ;)

musicformedia

Sweet got it all working now :)

Just started again from scratch, and its all working fine - I was messing around with some of the links, so I'd say this affected it - working fine now anyway - thanks so much ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.