Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcc

I've an idea for an Irish web directory but I am not sure yet if I should use a category killer domain name for the site (does exactly what it says on the tin) or an existing site (12 years old) with web directory section. The existing site has PR but the new domain name is an exact match for the category. Which would be better to use from an SEO point of view? The new domain with a new site or the existing domain with the new domain name 301ed to the existing site?

Regards...jmcc

B

breik

If the old domain is not under the ban you can use him and also you need to see how many links to the site.
As for me, better use the new domain.

Noble

It takes time to build the reputation and popularity of a web site and in IMO you should not jump from 12 yr. old domain to the new domain just for the EMD purposes. Also if you are going to do then you again need to spend more time building the backlinks and popularity for the new domain.

brianbaru

After the penguin update there has been a noticeable increase in the rankings of sites with exact match domains. A great deal depends on the competition for the keywords you are chasing. Personally I would always go for an exact match domain over buying an older one. You can have so many issues with older domains which have been completely dogged over the years. As regards PR of the existing domain, that can be taken away tomorrow. If Google gets wind it has a new owner you could lose it, particularly if you don't slap domain secrecy on it the moment you buy it. Over the years I've bought tons of aged domains but I don't bother anymore. It's not worth the hassle. Optimise your new site correctly, register it for 5 years and you will do fine.

Beno27

After the penguin update there has been a noticeable increase in the rankings of sites with exact match domains. A great deal depends on the competition for the keywords you are chasing. Personally I would always go for an exact match domain over buying an older one. You can have so many issues with older domains which have been completely dogged over the years. As regards PR of the existing domain, that can be taken away tomorrow. If Google gets wind it has a new owner you could lose it, particularly if you don't slap domain secrecy on it the moment you buy it. Over the years I've bought tons of aged domains but I don't bother anymore. It's not worth the hassle. Optimise your new site correctly, register it for 5 years and you will do fine.

Yeah, I'm about 6 months into my online pursuits and I can completely see the logic in this, I think stability is key and more important than whether your domain is exact match or has had previous owners etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.