New Vbulletin License Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
So what does everyone think of the new Vbulletin license structure?

I logged into my a/c this evening to find that there's no way to renew a license without paying for a completely new v4 license!

Powerboat.ie

Hi Michele,

It is madness beyond belief:rolleyes:.

I have 6 owned licences some of which were due for an upgrade this week.

I was also planning on buying 5 new licences in coming weeks for 5 new sites I am working on.

Now, I don't know
  • If I can actually renew old licences today.
  • Can purchase a new licence now? If I can, do I get an intiial old version ov VB upgraded to VB 4 whenever it really launches or if I purchase now do I have to wait months for delivery of anything?
  • What do I get if I purchase either?
  • What's the difference between VB4 and VB4 Suite?
  • How much will I be charged for any of these options.
Confusion reigns and VB are now censoring the forums at VB .com and VB.Org. Interestingly VB.Org who always claimed to be independent of VB.Com are refusing to entertain debate on the subject. Hundreds of posts on the subject on VB.com from angry existing customers have now been sidelined.

Having been a loyal customer of VB for 5 years, I never thought that I would ever have to complain. It is a complete marketing and PR disaster for them and they seem to be intent on digging themselves further into a hole.:mad:

Stuart

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Stuart

What they've done is insane.

VB4 currently does not exist. All they have produced to date is a bunch of screenshots, which is meaningless.

I've got 6 or more licenses on my account. Some of them are "active", while others have "expired".

Regardless of the type of license I have I feel like I'm being robbed, as I can't even renew a v3.* license at present to get the most current version of vb3.*. Any expired license needs to be renewed at some stupidly high rate - several multiples of the normal maintenance fee

I posted a bit more about it here:

Vbulletin Change Licensing And Enrage Customers - Michele Neylon :: Pensieri

At this juncture I am at a loss.

Compared to other forum software I've always found VB to be a superior product and have been happy to recommend it to friends and clients. Now I don't know what to do

Michele

Powerboat.ie

Hi Michele,

I absolutely with you. I have 5 licences myself and was about to buy 5 more in coming weeks.

My tuppence worth on VB.Com here vBulletin Community Forum - View Single Post - vB Forum 4.0 upgrade no longer free!

It has now come down to "row-back" by 1,000 inches, with VB's position being chipped away by customers

What You or I would give for an opportunity to launch a new product with as much promise and potential as VB 4 off of the back of a product as successful and loved as VB 3:rolleyes:

How do you get so much potential for so much success so wrong, so quickly?:eek:

Hundreds of really angry posts from previously very loyal customers. All in the space of 24 hours of product "launch".

Stuart

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Stuart

I logged in to my account just now to see if things had changed (for better or worse) and I still have no way of renewing any expired licenses, so I can't even run fully up to date version of the existing VB 3.* series.

The "forum only" license is not available as an "upgrade"

Talk about annoying!

Michele

Status
Not open for further replies.