Status
Not open for further replies.

Fintan

Hi all

Im currently working on a project, that will involve weekly use of an email news letter to regsitered users of a website.

Im looking for all the useful advice you guys can give.

Im worried that going down the html route will mean people wont see / read the email.

How do I ensure my mails don't get filtered as spam (or is that a million dollar question).

Would I better to just email a link to the newsletter?

I have looked at campaign monitor and it comes highly recommend.

But essentially looking for advice from people who set up a mailing list from scratch and to point out common mistakes / useful tips etc.

Thanks
Fintan

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Fintan

There's nothing wrong with HTML emails as long as you use properly formed HTML and don't embed javascript etc.,

I've heard good things about Campaign Monitor, but personally prefer using Groupmail from Infacta (who just happen to be Irish)

If you follow the kind of guidelines I outlined here:

http://www.mneylon.com/blog/archives/2005/01/17/mass-emailing-dos-and-donts/

you shouldn't fall foul of spamtraps etc.,

The kind of issues that commonly lead to problems arise most often when it is not clear why the person is getting the mail or how they can get off the list.

Michele

Kieran H

emailing newsletters

Fintan

A couple of things to consider about emailing newsletters...

Frequency: not so often is good, you want people to look forward to your newsletter, not filter it into a folder they never look at...

Content: get to the point! The better newsletters leave the content on the website with a hot link to the full article etc. The reader can scan through the titles in the newsletter for example and click down to a summary before deciding whether to go spend time reading the full piece...

Marketing database: if you are a SIG, single interest group, you can email newsletters to your whole database but if you can identify segments, you can distribute based on this and tailor the offering to specific preferences - this is the preferred route even within a given topical field or interest.

Finally, don't overload each newsletter with too many items! :)

Hope This Helps

Busarus

here's one of my newsletters as a guide... i run four in the same format

===================================================================

Archiseek IRELAND Architecture News & Events

June 7 2007 Vol 9. No. 60

Contemporary and Historical Irish Architecture and Architects - Archeire - Irish Architecture Online

RSS Feed Archiseek IRELAND Architecture News

2007 News Archives Irish Architectural News - 2007 Archives

Send Media Releases to: ireland@archiseek.com

Discussion Forums
Ireland - Archiseek Architecture Planning Discussion

Online Bookstore UK & Ireland Architecture Bookstore - UK Architecture @ Archiseek.com

JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS

Irish Architect Jobs - Architecture Jobs in Ireland

Employers! With Archiseek's new job board you can reach our highly targetted audience of industry professionals. As part of our launch promotion, postings are currently FREE.

View all jobs at
Irish Architect Jobs - Architecture Jobs in Ireland

Receive new jobs DAILY by email
Irish Architecture Jobs - Newsletters

RSS FEED
Irish Architecture Jobs - RSS Feeds

Eblana Theatre & Newsreel Cinema, Busaras
Archiseek.com

The Newsreel is probably one of the least known cinemas to have existed in Dublin, which might be due to a large extent to the fact that it was quite well hidden from view, occupying part of the basement of the central bus station on Store Street.

Eblana Theatre & Newsreel Cinema, Busaras - Irish Architectural News

=======

Docklands building throws new light on glazing
The Irish Times

In the context of the whole of Grand Canal Square in Dublin's Docklands, this was a bit of a Cinderella brief. At one end is the proposed theatre by internationally famous Daniel Libeskind, to the east side is a hotel by Portuguese architect Manuel Aires Mateus and in the centre there is a landscape by world-renowned Martha Schwartz. And on the remaining side is a speculative office, restaurant and shop development by Irish practice Duffy Mitchell O'Donoghue. "We didn't want our office to be the poor relation," says partner Coli O'Donoghue standing beside the distinctive tinted glass building that, amid years of discussion about the other edifices on the square, stands alone as the first building to be completed here. The 13,935sq m (150,000sq ft) structure went up relatively quickly along the fast-track route of the DDDA's Section 25 planning, while the other projects, announced in 2004, are still under construction. Architects de Blacam and Meagher were to build the hotel but were surprised, having designed it, to find they had been replaced by the Portuguese architect. Now the original developer of the hotel and theatre, Devey Group, has changed. Meanwhile, Dublin architects McCauley Daye O'Connell are working with Libeskind and Mateus on their buildings.

ireland.com - The Irish Times - Thu, Jun 07, 2007 - Docklands building throws new light on glazing

=======

Hill of Tara and Georgian villa on endangered list
The Irish Independent

The ancient seat of the Irish High Kings and a 18th century Georgian villa are among the most endangered monuments in the world. Yesterday, the World Monuments Fund included the Hill of Tara in Meath and Vernon Mount in Cork in its list of the 100 most threatened monuments under threat of immediate destruction unless steps are taken to save them. Richhill House in Co Armagh - which dates from 1655 - is also included because of its poor state of repair while Vernon Mount in Cork, from the 1780s, is 'considerably deteriorated'.

Hill of Tara and Georgian villa on endangered list - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Registration (paid or free) may be required on some sites to read the original story. Some stories may expire after a few days.

If you would like to submit a piece on Irish architecture - whether it be a feature or a polemic, please drop me an email at ireland@archiseek.com. Subjects can be whatever you wish - illustrations or photo essays are acceptable too. Articles will be published in the news area, which means that they will be posted to the Archiseek IRELAND mailinglist, which has over 4,000 subscribers.
If you're working in a firm, please remember that we are always interested in media releases and proposal images.

UNSUBSCRIBING
If you do not want to receive any more newsletters, Unsubscribe from our Newsletters

FORWARDING
Forward a Message to Someone
Forward a Message to Someone

Copyright Archiseek.com 2007
Archiseek.com is published by Paul Clerkin
Funded by the Irish Arts Council

koconnor

Hi all,

Just my €0.02 worth on email marketing.

I have been using email marketing for about 9 months now, firstly starting off with a free php based one that was included with my hosting plan.

Waste of time. If you want to send out 1000 emails, you will run into issues with your server (well at least I did). I had to set it so as it would send out the emails every X number of seconds, and I had to keep my browser open whilst doing it.
Not much fun when you have >10,000 subscribers.

So I moved to a professional outfit. I pay a yearly fee and can send out as many emails and set up as many campaigns as I need.

I send all my emails via text format. I don't like the html template ones, as I usually ignore them when I get them, no matter what the offer is.

I catch the visitors first name and email address, and that way I can customise the emails to say "Dear [[firstname]]"
so it looks personal.

The good thing about these opt in forms is that you can have them sign up to more campaigns in one go. Check out my *squeeze page* here: Free Vedic Maths Tutorial

You can see it's clear, straight to the point, and has the option to sign up for more information that they may be interested in.

So I would recommend if you are collecting names, use a professional service. It's reliable, stress and trouble free and completely customisable.

My €0.02 worth!!

Any questions give me a shout

Kev

Status
Not open for further replies.