nofollow for comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

Would enabling this feature be seen as a somewhat blackhat tactic and punishable by the SEs?

RedCardinal

It's normal (and expected behaviour) for most blogs.

The SEs would prefer if we all nofollowed links that we don't stand over editorially speaking.

Gavin

Was there any tactic you had in mind that might be seen as blackhat?

As Richard said it is expect behaviour for most blogs.

Personally I dont use them at all as I heavily moderate my comments and double check most, if not all, outbounds.

RedCardinal

I'm the same. All comments are follow.

As long as the comment or anchor isn't blatant it gets in. If you're Irish you get even more leeway. I'm just surprised more people haven't copped it and left comments TBH. I have a few high PR pages :)

*heads over to Gavin's to spam a few posts*

Cormac

that's grand so

I understand that it is a grey area, the large SEs don't seem to mind if your comments are moderated and you have a anti-spam-comment policy in place.

/waits to go home to enable follow()
/ponders commenting on Gavin's and Richard's blogs

Gavin

Both of you are always welcome to make comments on my PR5 blog but the common rules apply. :p

*runs off to enable spam plugin*

RedCardinal

*runs off to enable spam plugin*
What, you mean you're unprotected?

Christ I have askimet and bad behaviour. If I turn off BB I get about up to 500 'comments' in a day.

TBH we should really try to comment as much as possible on each other's blogs (as long as what we post is not crap).

Gavin

What, you mean you're unprotected?

Nah I was only joking. I use askimet on all my blogs and works well but I must give that BB a whirl if the two can work together.

I have been very slack on doing my blog rounds this past while but I must get back into it again.

Cormac

i wouldn't mind someone i know, well partially know, using anchor text links to their blog on my blog's comments

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I always ensure that the links in comments are "follow"
I really don't like the way the blog software vendors decided unilaterally to make them default to "nofollow".. I can understand why it happened, but a lot of people probably don't fix it.

BB is excellent and will not interfere with Akismet, as it works at a different level of the transaction

Status
Not open for further replies.