Status
Not open for further replies.

ziycon

Im currently in the process of building my own CMS to look after all my site content so i can add,edit and delete from anywhere, i dont have to be at home.

Does anyone else use their own CMS for their site or sites they develop?? What upsides and downsides you found?

anthonymcg

Building your own, while it's gonna work exactly as you want it, is a bitch of a job. I used to favour going with my own systems but development time just spirals, for me anyway. Nowadays I'll use a tried and trusted system like WordPress or Drupal to do what I want.

ph3n0m

My only real issues would have been protecting the CMS from the "idiot syndrome" or the non techie who has access to it.

Because, in case some people arent aware, the non techie whilst initially scared will start "playing" - which can lead to disastrous problems - such as using a wysiwyg editor and them playing with the source and removing tags, or closing them improperly - they click save and voila - a mess to be cleaned up :)

kae

I have built a CMS. A demo of it is available here: cmsdemo.webworkstest.com > home - you can play with it by logging in here: admin (username: demo, password: demo)

There are advantages, in that you understand the code of the CMS very intimately, so can make changes easily.
Also, pre-built CMSs tend to have a load of features which overwhelm the general user, who may only be interested in a sub-set of them.
As you are building your CMS in response to the demand of your clients, you can tailor it so that they only see what they will actually use.
As well, the established CMSes may be stretched a bit thin in places, being very good in general, but in specific areas, you may be able to provide better products.

On the negative side, the existing CMSs out there are pretty polished and full-featured, so if you are going to be selling one to your clients, it should be very up-to-scratch, and you should have a list of reasons why your product is better for the client than, say, Mambo or Drupal, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.