Panda And Other Google Updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any quick / easy way to see if a site has been impacted by Google's Panda update (the latest one) ?

link8r

Hi BK

Panda and Penguin (latest)

Well, in all cases, a sudden drop in SERP's would indicate either a manual or automatic penalty and/or if a whole lot of links or pages were discounted. Google Webmaster Tools would be the place to look. A big drop in ranking should co-incide with a click or impression drop warning - all are visible in Webmaster tools when you login.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've never seen that kind of thing in Webmaster Tools - so you're saying they'd basically tell you if you're penalised?

Drang3d

SearchMetrics.com tracks visibility for most sites, updated every thursday and has data going back to 2010. It's a paid tool, but if you want to pm me the site, I can run a quick report on it. Only probs is it doesnt track visibility for Google.ie

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
SearchMetrics.com tracks visibility for most sites, updated every thursday and has data going back to 2010. It's a paid tool, but if you want to pm me the site, I can run a quick report on it. Only probs is it doesnt track visibility for Google.ie

Thanks - it was for a client who had a query :)

link8r

I've never seen that kind of thing in Webmaster Tools - so you're saying they'd basically tell you if you're penalised?

Yes. They send the webmaster an e-mail for most issues and also show a message in the GWT when you login, as well as a warning flag.. For example, if they detect paid links, you get an e-mail "Unnatural links found on domain....." They'll also send a note if you've been manually penalised. An algorithmic drop you have to detect yourself and is fixed automatically.

So if you used to get 5000 clicks per month and now get 2500, you'd get a mail saying "Dramatic Click Through drop for [domain.xyz]"

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. They send the webmaster an e-mail for most issues and also show a message in the GWT when you login, as well as a warning flag.. For example, if they detect paid links, you get an e-mail "Unnatural links found on domain....." They'll also send a note if you've been manually penalised. An algorithmic drop you have to detect yourself and is fixed automatically.

So if you used to get 5000 clicks per month and now get 2500, you'd get a mail saying "Dramatic Click Through drop for [domain.xyz]"
Interesting.
I've seen some of the other notifications (messages) that they put up, but I thought that things like link types etc., were more up to the website owner ..
I'll have to go digging some more :)

link8r

Well, if you were penalised and you didn't drop in traffic, it wouldn't be much of a penalty :tranquillity:

Yeah, they've expanded it a lot. The last new incarnation dropped a lot of functionality but the current version is pretty handy!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I also discovered that there's an option to have the messages emailed to an email of my choice - handy. I wish Adsense had that option!

brianbaru

A recent addition to Google webmaster is the ability to allow you to disavow a link to a website, so basically if you have a bad link pointing to a domain you own that is affecting your ranking, you can ask Google to ignore it. Personally I think it's taken far to long for them to do this. it also suggests negative SEO is a distinct possibility.

paul

Ninja
A recent addition to Google webmaster is the ability to allow you to disavow a link to a website, so basically if you have a bad link pointing to a domain you own that is affecting your ranking, you can ask Google to ignore it. Personally I think it's taken far to long for them to do this. it also suggests negative SEO is a distinct possibility.

as far as I know only Bing allows you to flag links that are not yours Bing Disavow links you don

link8r

Paul is right - you can't yet (although you will be able to soon) disallow an inbound link to your site

Softology

So, if a site gained the SERP after the reroll of penguin means what? less than a year old domain, 40+ pages all indexed in google and few pr7+ backlinks.

What could be so special in that site than a 3 years + site, 150+ pages and all indexed dropping in SERP? 90% unique content.

any ideas?

brianbaru

There has been a few refreshes recently but I would be surprised if your site was hit with one of those. They are very small modifications to the existing panda updates affecting less that 1% of sites. Was the site modified in any way recently?

Softology

Thanks Brian for your reply. No, there was no major changes, just added a few more prducts.

The site ranks better than before, all main keywords in top 5 so i guess it was just a refresh nothing more.

E

Enrico

Even if you sumbit links to disallow in WMT, it's doesn't works.

BV87FFF

@Softology: From what I've noticed the last Google updates were ment to hit websites with strange anchor schemes. Do you have sitewide links to you site with the same anchor ? Do you have sitewide links to a page in your website ?

johnmoore

If your website has been affected by Penguin or Panda update, Google Webmaster will automatically send you a message regarding the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.