PayPal Ireland - What do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin

I have a paypal business account in the U.S. that I need to shut down, I have had it frozen way too many times because I use the paypal debit card to buy things online.

Anyway, I just opened a new Irish account so do I need a credit card so I fund my account? Is there any other methods of placing money into the account? I dont have a credit card nor do I ever want one.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The only way to fund a Paypal account in Ireland is with a credit card

davidbehan

Get a 3V card and fund it with that. www.3v.ie :D In UK they allow debit cards on paypal... wish they did this on the irish version.

davidbehan

Yep... all the time. I get a a 350 card from them and add it to paypal and make my purchases. I hate credit cards... too easy to get into debt but this way it's brilliant. 3V have a limit of 2500 that you can get in cards over 12 months. I reached this after 6 months and they told me that I couldn't buy anymore cards until next year. How stupid is that? "Thanks for your custom but you've spent too much with us... hopefully you'll buy off us again next year" :mad: Other than that... they are good! :D

Gavin

Well at least they arent ripping you off by taking all your money. I think thats actually quite nice of them to say you have spent too much, how many companies do you know that do that?

So how do you actually buy the cards?

daviddoran

I set up an account with Paypal just to hold some money to buy domains etc. I transferred money from a friend's account into mine. Then one day I get an email to say my account is frozen until I verify with a credit card. I don't have a credit card. Result: Frozen money in PayPal. Great.

Gavin

Yeah but you know whats great about a frozen account? You are still allowed to transfer funds into it...great but you cant spend it.

For the moment I have to transfer funds from AIB to my bank in the U.S. then to Paypal who keep freezing my account when I do a big transaction. Plus I feel the feds are going to be on my arse for money laundering or something.

gary.b

I use 3V vouchers for Paypal stuff all the time - no problems so far. But for some reason paypal likes to charge €1 on the card when you add it to your paypal account - (they return it in a few weeks)

I didn't know about the €2,500/12 Months limit - useful to know. Thanks.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Yep... all the time. I get a a 350 card from them and add it to paypal and make my purchases. I hate credit cards... too easy to get into debt but this way it's brilliant. 3V have a limit of 2500 that you can get in cards over 12 months. I reached this after 6 months and they told me that I couldn't buy anymore cards until next year. How stupid is that? "Thanks for your custom but you've spent too much with us... hopefully you'll buy off us again next year" :mad: Other than that... they are good! :D

I think the idea behind the 3V solution is to facilitate people who normally wouldn't qualify for a credit card... Surely a successful developer like yourself would :D

davidbehan

I think the idea behind the 3V solution is to facilitate people who normally wouldn't qualify for a credit card... Surely a successful developer like yourself would :D
I had a credit card and got rid of it. Prefer using laser - you're spending money you have in your account. When I want to do web purchases, I'd buy a 3V card and pay for that with my laser! It just avoids going into debt on a CC. :D

Redfly

I had a credit card and got rid of it. Prefer using laser - you're spending money you have in your account. When I want to do web purchases, I'd buy a 3V card and pay for that with my laser! It just avoids going into debt on a CC. :D

You can set that up with Bank Of Ireland. I cannot use my personal CC unless I have funds on it. If it goes 20-50 Euro over, it still works, but it wont let me make a purchase again.

I'm never going to change it.

Redfly

Definitely, My mother uses those 3v cards and they are nothing but hassle for me ;)

Just give banking 365 a ring and they'll sort it out then and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.