Status
Not open for further replies.

joebloggs

What is paypal like for selling goods online? Do they take much of a cut from your sales? If the average price of my products was €500 how much would paypal charge me for a sale? Are there any better solutions that are easy to implement?

MickyWall

On a recent transaction PayPal charged $4.69 USD for a $129.00 USD product.

It's very handy, easy to use and withdraw money.

Ideally I'd like a cheaper transaction fee, so if you come up with any i'd be more than happy to hear.

davedave

The PayPal pricing schedule for Ireland is as follows:

€0.00 EUR - €2,500.00 EUR 3.4% + €0.35 EUR
€2,500.01 EUR - €10,000.00 EUR 2.9% + €0.35 EUR
€10,000.01 EUR - €50,000.00 EUR 2.7% + €0.35 EUR
€50,000.01 EUR - €100,000.00 EUR 2.4% + €0.35 EUR
> €100,000.00 EUR 1.9% + €0.35 EUR

More info is available here
https://www.paypal.com/ie/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-receiving-fees-outside&nav=2.0.3

So if you are doing less than €2,500 worth of sales per month you'll be paying €17.35 in fees to PayPal for each €500 sale.

There are other providers similar to PayPal which you will find if you do some research on the internet. The alternative is to get an Internet Merchant Account with a Financial Institution and use a Payments Service provider such as Realex ( Online Payments / Credit Card Processing Online / Accept Credit Cards Online / Ecommerce Solutions / Payment solutions: Home ) or WorldNet TPS ( Accept Online Payments / Accept Credit Cards Online / eCommerce / PCI ). The fee's involved with this approach would be cheaper than PayPal but you may find it difficult to get an Internet Merchant Account if there is a high level of risk associated withy our business and the products you are selling.

Realex and WorldNet are both very simple to integrate with so that should not be a worry for you.

davedave

Sorry my above email refers to selling items on your own website - the fee's for accepting money transfers and for selling via ebay differ. I cannot advise on those.

joebloggs

Thanks everyone for your repliese. Davedave, is there any similar fee layout as to the one you provided for paypal for realex or worldnet. Are there any guides as to the steps you need to go through for each option for getting set up? Im just wondering what would be the cost of these over say 12 months and if one option is worth spending more implementing for a larger saving in the long term or if theres really that much difference.

neweb

I've looked at a number of payment tools and PayPal still comes out on top for ease of use and the fact that thousands of people are familiar with PayPal

Sure the charges are slightly higher, but given the option most people making a payment over the internet would click the PayPal link purely because they are familiar with it and they don't have to enter credit card information.

Taking money out of PayPal is free over €99.00 and should you have to refund money they refund it along with the charges for that amount.

davedave

Thanks everyone for your repliese. Davedave, is there any similar fee layout as to the one you provided for paypal for realex or worldnet. Are there any guides as to the steps you need to go through for each option for getting set up? Im just wondering what would be the cost of these over say 12 months and if one option is worth spending more implementing for a larger saving in the long term or if theres really that much difference.

Hi Joebloggs,
Realex and WorldNet do not list their pricing on their websites and it tends of change over time. So the best thing to do is to call their sales guys to get that information. You will pay a transaction fee to Realex/WorldNet similar to the 35cents that PayPal charge. That is all that you will pay to Realex or Worldnet - they do not work on a percentage basis.

With your internet merchant account you will pay a percentage of the transaction value to your financial institution. This is typically around 2-3% but again you'd have to talk to Merchant Services with your financial institution to get the exact pricing for your business.

As you might have noticed in my signature I am involved in a website ( WebPayments.ie - making sense of online payments ) that will explain the options in Ireland and includes a guide to getting setup. We are putting the finishing touches to the website right now. If you want to PM me some details such as your monthly transaction volumes, average ticket price and area of business I can tell you if I think it would be worthwhile for you to switch.

davedave

I've looked at a number of payment tools and PayPal still comes out on top for ease of use and the fact that thousands of people are familiar with PayPal

Sure the charges are slightly higher, but given the option most people making a payment over the internet would click the PayPal link purely because they are familiar with it and they don't have to enter credit card information.

Taking money out of PayPal is free over €99.00 and should you have to refund money they refund it along with the charges for that amount.

I'm not sure if I agree with you neweb :)
You cannot take payments from laser cards with PayPal so you are ruling out a large percentage of irish customers if you only accept PayPal. I agree that PayPal is popular among techies but for the general irish public paying by credit card with a trusted name such as Realex maybe better.

neweb

I'm not sure if I agree with you neweb :)
You cannot take payments from laser cards with PayPal so you are ruling out a large percentage of irish customers if you only accept PayPal. I agree that PayPal is popular among techies but for the general irish public paying by credit card with a trusted name such as Realex maybe better.

Your right, Lazer is very popular in Ireland and you could be cutting out anyone wishing to use Lazer by only going down the PayPal route.

On the other hand, I am amazed the amount of people now buying from Ebay and there main form of payment is PayPal. Personaly I don't think it would be that detramental to not accept lazer as the vast majority of people are used to ordering from the UK sites who don't use lazer.

I would be interested in knowing the standing charges for some of the other providers. For example, if I don't make a single transaction in one year what do I have to pay to keep my merchant account with some of the other providers. I know with PayPal you only pay when a transaction is made so again if I don't make a single transaction in a year then I pay PayPal nothing.

I like the idea of your website, something like this has been needed for a long time. A site like that could develope into something really big.

MayaLocke

Paypal's pricing is really quite reasonable. Really not much more than a credit card company if you had your own merchant account.

Status
Not open for further replies.