Status
Not open for further replies.

reverbstudios

I've just put the new re-design of my main business site live and would welcome opinion on it please. I've tried to make it as bright as possible given that I've decided to stick with dark colors and I've tried to keep it slightly different looking from the standard.

I've also gone for a different navigation system than usual with all the site content on 1 page and anchor links between the different sections:

www.reverbstudios.ie

Maximum Bob

the nav takes a bit of getting used to, I understand what you are trying to do with it but I personally find long pages put me off reading it, perhaps make it clearer to people to press the nav buttons rather than just start scrolling like I did,

reverbstudios

Interesting. I thought I made the navigation fairly obvious and large at the top and you can't fail to notice it if you end up scrolling as its repeated all the way down!?

I might put an explanation up as well though just to be sure.

Ta.

Redfly

Hey Leon,
Looks good but a bit of feedback:

First off, the colours. No disrespect, but it's a little bit monochrome. You're a designer, I think that needs to come our more in your own design.

Also, I have to agree about the design. Sitting here with "Don't make me think" open and if you havn't, I'd give it a read. (about a 2 hour read).

I also think that the template monster templates on your home page, while they might be just right for your target audience, I'd showcase your own talent over them. There is also what I would consider a pretty significant risk to your SE rankings by having them there (see latest threads on Google's crackdown).

Otherwise, good job.

reverbstudios

Thanks Dave.

I kinda went for monochrome on purpose and chose a steely, moonlighty type color to suggest cleanliness, efficiency, simplicity and illumination!! I'm not into color much, remember my old design!? Monochrome or gray scale is kinda popular among design, studio type sites, etc..

Having said that, I may still introduce another color or 2 at some stage, possible in the background image.

I really don't think the navigation is difficult in this day and age when there's all kinds of weird and wacky sites out there much more obtuse than mine (Flash etc..), its in the same place as all other sites and I'm hoping that if it is slightly different then its a small compromise to make to avoid page loading on each link and slowing down browsing.

"I'd showcase your own talent over them" - em, I don't really have any talent to showcase, I only use template based design these days!

Have you got a link for "Don't make me think" and the Google threads?

Ta.

Redfly

Have a read of:
Google is cracking down on multiple industries they have deemed "Illegitimate." This guy isn't the only one BTW…

Also, my latest blog post above.

Do a search for "Google deindexing BANS" sites and even have a chat with Richard Hearne, he's very active in the Google webmaster help forum and noticed the trend a long time ago.

The book is called don't make me think my Steve Krug.
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Make-Me-Think-Usability/dp/0321344758/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250164662&sr=8-1]Don't Make Me Think!: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability: Amazon.co.uk: Steve Krug: Books[/ame]

Tom

I'm not a fan of the navigation either, it's kinda cool and unique but on a first visit it's a bit head wrecking watching the entire page scrolling by really fast. I'd probably get accustomed to it after a while but I'd prefer reading/navigating shorter pages.

I like the background and content areas although perhaps a tad more colour somewhere. I think the banner or name on the banner should maybe stand out more, perhaps brighter, more colour again. Although with your current navigation that might not look as good when it's positioned partially behind the content.

reverbstudios

@ Dave Thanks for those informational links, read them and it seems there is a strong connection between affiliate marketing and Adwords which I don't use so I think I'll take by chances and keep the templates there. I'll just keep an eye on the situation and see if I suffer!

The main Reverb Studios site (or page now!) is not really intended to do great in the search engines, I have the blog for that. Its really just an informational page and somewhere to send people to pick a template.

@ Tom I hear you re navigation but I'm prepared to take a chance as showing some uniqueness is important to me. I need to stand out from the growing crowd somehow. If every designer stuck to usability rules and standards we'd never get anywhere!

What I might do based on all your great feedback here is introduce a bit more color and cut down the content a good bit. The testimonials section is ridiculous for example! Might use popups or internal scrollers or something..

Its early days, it will be refined!

Ta.

raul

Leon, I do like it ... yes , probably needs some more colors on it but apart from that I'd say is great...( better than the previous one ).

link8r

Hi Leon,

I'm no design expert, so this is just my 2c

Its a nice site and its very professional, very clean. It is a lot of information on the home page, and as RedFly suggests, you could do a lot more to show your design skills.

I know you are very focused on the customised-template route but there are still items of original creativity like in logo's and choice of colour.

It definitely gets your message across, but its also quite blog-like (nothing wrong with that!) but I would expect to see some multi-media being used.

I think that web design can be just the technical element of putting code together to produce a HTML website but it's also about how best to get a message across, often to an audience with a very short attention span - if your going to get lots of traffic, you need to pitch across who you are and what differentiates you (and why thats good) very quickly - flash I think is great at that.

reverbstudios

@ Link8r It is a bit Blog like yeh, a homage to current trends, blogs are everywhere!

I have added a **** load of colour in the background and took as much content off as I could. I think its looking better now?

Thanks guys.

Donagh

Hey.

I see where the other guys are coming from in regards to the navigation but I like it. I've seen a few other sites with this sort of navigation recently and I've had no problem.

The slight transparancy between the content and the backgground is nice!

Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.