Reg365/NamesCo - web20 server issues - anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harlemangel

Latest response ...

#########

In response to the increasing levels of threat posed by the Gumblar virus, we did recently perform some maintenance on web20 that changed directory permissions to 0755 but only if they were 0757, 0767, 0777, 0775 or 0776, as the vast majority of directories with those permissions had compromised files in them. I am sorry if this unannounced change caused you any inconvenience but we had to do this quickly in order to try and limit any potential damage.

There is never really any reason to have a directory set to 777 permissions as this makes it world-writeable by anyone and is an inherent risk. Most CMSs and blogs will run quite happily with 755 permissions. If a particular application vendor is stating a requirement for 777 permissions, I would query with them exactly why this is needed - they are likely just stating this as the easiest option to avoid any installation problems.

########

Im posting this here for information purposes, as Im guessing that most people wouldnt have received this mail. Its like pulling teeth with these guys.

niall

In response to the increasing levels of threat posed by the Gumblar virus, we did recently perform some maintenance on web20 that changed directory permissions to 0755 but only if they were 0757, 0767, 0777, 0775 or 0776, as the vast majority of directories with those permissions had compromised files in them. I am sorry if this unannounced change caused you any inconvenience but we had to do this quickly in order to try and limit any potential damage.

Funnily enough, this will do SFA to prevent the spread of the Gumblar virus as it's using FTP details from infected PCs to connect. The only way that permissions will help is if they deny the user all permissions to their own folder.

Niall.

Anotheridiot

I got a similar reply this morning referencing this very thread and my difficulties with phpbb.

Its like pulling teeth with these guys.
Permission changes occured Wednesday afternoon. I restored mine Wed evening, sent in a ticket Thursday Morning. Got a response to the ticket Monday morning and finally this morning got a satisfactory response.

It only takes 6 days from when the ticket was logged to get a reason (the response came on day 3)

Thats not pulling teeth, its something else.

Anyway, Ive got my answer now, so I dont want to continue to gripe, like I said earlier, Im in the process of moving my sites to another host.

Status
Not open for further replies.