Removing Spam From Vbulletin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've recently taken over a vbulletin forum that wasn't being moderated properly. Does anyone know of any tools to help identify spam threads?

paul

Ninja
There is a plugin to detect multiple accounts, that might be a good start. Then delete all posts by these multiple accounts.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
There is a plugin to detect multiple accounts, that might be a good start. Then delete all posts by these multiple accounts.
How does it work out that an account is duplicate? Is it the IP address?

express

To the best of my knowledge, it works the same way as the COPPA registrations, where if an underage person tries to re-register with another birthdate - they will not be allowed to register. A cookie that is not removed when cookies cleared is set. If user tries to register again on that computer - they will be blocked. I haven't actually used this plugin yet, but am considering it for the future.

You can block by prevent multiple registrations from same IP, but I have found that many of these are genuine registrations where two or more people are using the same computer. I check the IP of new registrations, and if there is another registration from the same IP, I monitor new posts to see if registration seems to be genuine. If not - I ban.

conorod

There is also a plugin to check their IP address and email address against stopforumspam.com. I can't post a live link yet but if you Google it you will find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.