Results riddle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

Pages from Ireland.

I have read over the riddle and the phrasing of it confuses me more than anything else. What are you talking about man? :confused:

I'm guessing that you're saying that a search query is appearing on page 8 for pages from Ireland but it appears at #1 on google.com. Is that it?

glengara

Trying to work out what if any part "local" links/anchor text play in the PFI/"web search" results :)

Some more info - page is no.2 on an allinanchor search in PFI so everything ticketyboo it should be on or around there in the "normal" PFI results, but is down at 6.

Couple of possibilities for that are (a) some of the links/anchor text have been discounted (but its' position in "web search" results would tend to exclude this) or (b) other pages have more "local" links/anchor text.

Any other possibilities welcomed :)

louie

ouch - my head hurts.

you are trying to compare an "allinanchor" search with a "normal" search?

Don't you think that is normal to get different result?

sometimes an word used at singular then changed to plural returns different result altogether. Did you ever wonder why?

glengara

Generally speaking link anchor text has always been the major ranking factor for any particular term, with the "on-page" stuff responsible for the usually minor variations between allinanchor and normal search results.

In this case the way the page performs on "web search" would indicate that on-page is also not a factor, and appears to point towards "local" links/anchor text playing a part.

RedCardinal

Trying to work out what if any part "local" links/anchor text play in the PFI/"web search" results :)

Some more info - page is no.2 on an allinanchor search in PFI so everything ticketyboo it should be on or around there in the "normal" PFI results, but is down at 6.

Couple of possibilities for that are (a) some of the links/anchor text have been discounted (but its' position in "web search" results would tend to exclude this) or (b) other pages have more "local" links/anchor text.

Any other possibilities welcomed :)
Only addition I can make is that if a lot of the links are fresh then it may be some form of age dampening on the rank query that wouldn't be applied to an allinanchor search.

Status
Not open for further replies.