Status
Not open for further replies.

link8r

Some things you have to fix at a strategic level and then carry through to your final implementation:

A logo isn't brand. People find logos easier to remember than brands? I remember these words but I didn't really notice a brand on your site.

Overall: design is template-like, forgettable, uninspiring. Bad use of space IMHO - everything is either at the top or the bottom. You could have used space a lot better.

The actual portfolio was the last thing I found (it's always the last place you look isn't it?) - and then the designs were, how would I describe it - interfered with.

Usability
What's the point of having "services" as a menu option - all services websites have them - is it not redundant? so I have to click services and then make another decision? How did I get to your site? Was I looking for services and hoping that the matching site would offer the services I nee

Social
FB link is to you personally, not your business. Go and look at Simply Zesty and other agency sites.

The Rest
No Privacy, disclaimer, lack of content, site designed to be a brochure/presentation, not a website.

Think about factors like - how are people to find your site, why and what would they like to see not what do you want?

phd

People just google my name to find my site, other wise i would spend money useing google adwords or sign up and post on different freelance websites.
So you think I should get rid of the services page?
How where the designs interfered with?
A logo is one of the most importand factors in a brand. My name is my logo on this site.
What is the difference between this and a website, More interactive elements is it!
I dont see the point of setting up a facebook page just for my self, but maybe your right. I have a business site www.blueandgreendesign.com that I should set up a fb page.

Cheers for the fast grilling :peaceful:

dropbop

To me it would be the fat border around them, and the heavy use of radius on them. Im useless at it doing it myself, but the simplier the better is sometimes the best way. Showing off other designs in a portfoloi, to me, would mean showing the designs of the sites you did, and not smothering them with the design of the portfolio site thats showing them... if that makes any sense at all... probably not, im tired.

What is the difference between this and a website, More interactive elements is it!
To me it looked kinda dated. The top and bottom dark areas seemed to take over the site, and thats where my eyes were going first, not to the content where they should have been looking.

I dont see the point of setting up a facebook page just for my self, but maybe your right. I have a business site www.blueandgreendesign.com that I should set up a fb page.
Don't underesimate the power of Facebook, I hate Facebook (except for an odd game of bejewelled blitze), its does my nut, but I have set a number of businesses up on it and they are really making good use of it for promoting, posting new products, designs etc etc and getting feedback from their customers, and of course, most importantly, public testimonials.

I hope that doesnt seem like a grilling too, but you did ask for feedback lol, so there is my 2 cents.

Good luck with it :)

link8r

People just google my name to find my site, other wise i would spend money useing google adwords or sign up and post on different freelance websites.
So you think I should get rid of the services page?
A logo is one of the most importand factors in a brand. My name is my logo on this site.

Cheers for the fast grilling :peaceful:

So if people just Google your name, then the only people who are finding you are people you already know - so you're not generating any new leads or enquiries?

Services Page > Just asking you to rethink it

Design Portfolio > The designs have a border and this cuts into the images

Logo > we'll get here eventually. I said a logo is not a brand. Your logo/brand - honestly can't remember what it is !? I'd have to look at your site again.

Interactive elements > no.

This website (not the second one, but attached to the review thread) > is clearly a business. It is also your name but you're also entitled to trade under your own name. Its clear, from anybody looking at it that this is a business page. If I wanted to hire or engage with you, why would I want your personal FB page and not a FB Business page. Are you developing two brands? How confusing is this?

Fast Grilling > you're welcome.

phd

To me it would be the fat border around them, and the heavy use of radius on them. Im useless at it doing it myself, but the simplier the better is sometimes the best way. Showing off other designs in a portfoloi, to me, would mean showing the designs of the sites you did, and not smothering them with the design of the portfolio site thats showing them... if that makes any sense at all... probably not, im tired.

To me it looked kinda dated. The top and bottom dark areas seemed to take over the site, and thats where my eyes were going first, not to the content where they should have been looking.

Don't underesimate the power of Facebook, I hate Facebook (except for an odd game of bejewelled blitze), its does my nut, but I have set a number of businesses up on it and they are really making good use of it for promoting, posting new products, designs etc etc and getting feedback from their customers, and of course, most importantly, public testimonials.

I hope that doesnt seem like a grilling too, but you did ask for feedback lol, so there is my 2 cents.

Good luck with it :)

I might change to a square box with no style. For simplicity.

Do you think I should change the background color of the contents area for me I think the background works well at easing the eye into the contents area.

I never did underestimate the power of facebook the only thing I do underestimate is the power of only having 30 likes and not updating it much, I also don't underestimate the power of having a twitter account which can reach thousands of potential customers.

phd

So if people just Google your name, then the only people who are finding you are people you already know - so you're not generating any new leads or enquiries?

Services Page > Just asking you to rethink it

Design Portfolio > The designs have a border and this cuts into the images

Logo > we'll get here eventually. I said a logo is not a brand. Your logo/brand - honestly can't remember what it is !? I'd have to look at your site again.

Interactive elements > no.

This website (not the second one, but attached to the review thread) > is clearly a business. It is also your name but you're also entitled to trade under your own name. Its clear, from anybody looking at it that this is a business page. If I wanted to hire or engage with you, why would I want your personal FB page and not a FB Business page. Are you developing two brands? How confusing is this?

Fast Grilling > you're welcome.

Alright a logo is the most important part of a brand. Seeing as you are the SEO expert I have added meta tags etc any other ways that I can maximise my search results when say someone google's " web/graphic designer based in dublin".

What other interactive elements do you think I should include.

Cheers

phd

Another thing I think I should change is the buttons, anyone got any ideas how I can create buttons where when someone rolls over them a small graphic appears above them, which can also hold a drop down list.

link8r

Well, if people search for "Services" - I'm sure that you'll rank somewhere - hence why its better to build out the pages for the services and link to them directly...!

phd

How do you mean, link from the services page directly to my portfolio page ie web services image to web portfolio?

link8r

Here's how a computer sees your website:

Typical, bad site layout - introspective

mydomain.com Home
mydomain.com/service Services
mydomain.com/contact Contact Me

Here's how I'd look at it:

mydomain.com David Tomson - Plumber in County Limerick
mydomain.com/blocked pipes Suffering from blocked drains and pipes? We help clear them
mydomain.com/contact Contact Us | Limerick Plumber

phd

google spiders see's it as using the words on the title and meta though does it not? aswell as the content

Status
Not open for further replies.