Status
Not open for further replies.

wheres me jumpa

Guys,

I will be attending an interview this week, it would appear to be a formality, although Im not taking anything for granted. The salary is negotiable. Ive never been in this situation before. Is it a case they will say "this is your salary" based on your experience or will I be asked "is this salary acceptable"?

Really what Im asking is, will there be a back and forth of salaries. Sounds silly when I read it but Ive never done it before!

Thanks,

Jumpa

Cormac

Gary, first of all...congrats on getting the position in Tescos

Is it a case they will say "this is your salary" based on your experience...

From my own expierence this is what happens.
If you have already worked in industry they tend to ask you what you were on previously and then state what they're offering....

wheres me jumpa

Its with a company I was placed with and they want me back for a vacancy that has opened in the same area. So they know my skills/experience and previous pay.

TBH I cant believe I got back into Tescos. Especially being a graduate, I thought they would be hoping to attract more senior employees. Boss told me if I make the right moves ill be in his seat soon.....on the tills that is.

kae

getting a call back after you've already worked for the company is a good sign.

we (Web design Internet development, Ireland - email marketing, content management systems, email response systems) sometimes have people in for work experience. Apart from my own hiring, only one other person has ever been asked to take a permanent position here based on that, as in the time he was working as a temp here, he proved that he could handle the work. (that's not a hint to potential temps not to come to us - if you can handle what we do, then you will do well here)

as for "negotiable"... who knows!

kae

hmm... I agree with the person who suggested that Michele turn off the plugin which replaces URLs with the target page's title...

grandad

hmm... I agree with the person who suggested that Michele turn off the plugin which replaces URLs with the target page's title...

Just uncheck "Automatically retrieve titles from external links" on the posting form.

louie

Just uncheck "Automatically retrieve titles from external links" on the posting form.
Ye , but that only work if you don't write a quick reply. There must be some sort of master control for that.
BTW congrats for the interview.Hope it works out for you.

wheres me jumpa

Off topic, I have mixed feelings about the title in the link. 90% its a lot cleaner than the the link itself, but occassionally the title is far too long.

On topic, thanks for the tips.

Redfly

I've been to interviews where they asked if their offered salary was acceptable and I said "No, I am expecting x amount". I thought I'd call their bluff. They never called back and that was my third interview. I really made a bad call on that one.

I was young and foolish then though.

wheres me jumpa

I've been to interviews where they asked if their offered salary was acceptable and I said "No, I am expecting x amount". I thought I'd call their bluff. They never called back and that was my third interview. I really made a bad call on that one.

I was young and foolish then though.

Point taken! Im not trying to be greedy. Im a graduate so Im grateful for what I get but I didnt want a case where they were expecting me to negotiate and I just accepted.

Redfly

Just go with the flow. If it happens, it happens.
Congratulations on the interview. You'll be great!

Cormac

Point taken! Im not trying to be greedy. Im a graduate so Im grateful for what I get but I didnt want a case where they were expecting me to negotiate and I just accepted.

You can do what i did in all my interviews...When they discuss money you tell them that you're more interested in the expierence of working in a relevant role...

They love that kind of stuff,
Money isn't the important thing, expierence is.

wheres me jumpa

Just an update on this......

I was gazumped by a more experience candidate :( Interview went great and I was feeling so confident about it but the person they interviewed after me had far more experience than me.

So I think its fair to say .... mods, please delete this thread! Anyway lesson learned, dont count your chickens before theyre hatched.

Status
Not open for further replies.