Well all I can offer is it depends:

1. size of site;
2. competitiveness of niche;
3. # targeted keywords;
4. age of domain;
5. .....
N.

If it's a small one-time job (on-site with some link building) then day rate;
Larger job with ongoing link building then initial day rate and retainer and/or performance based payout schedule;
Big job (full site, content, e.g. e-commerce) performance-based with % of gross over LT contract;

If I were you I would think about how many hours it will take and then multiply that by the hourly rate you think you're worth. If you're confident that you can achieve good rankings for trafficked search phrases then you might consider removing the clients risk by offering a performance-based payment schedule.

Redfly

We have picked up two clients this week. The reason they chose us was explicitly stated by them. They "Preferred the performance based option". It splits the risk between buyer and seller and if an SEO company is confident in their abilities, they should be able to foot even a small portion of this risk.

We do however require a base payment to cover expenses and labor for the first initial period.

I agree with Richard here though. Depending on the client, there are a lot of different ways to charge. It totally depends on the size of their site and indeed the competition they are in as well as THEIR expected results.

Redfly

Beware if you are subcontracting - dangerous business in SEO :cool:

I'll have to agree there. I think Richard, you stopped me being burned a couple of weeks ago.

I have a feeling.... this thread might also be related to that. You never know.

Redfly

intriguing! spill the beans guys- (no names, no scandal tho)...

my position is that a guy I know in england is too busy to do the seo for this company.. He has seen what I have done with a few of my domains seo-wise and has just told them to give me a whirl- so he referred me rather than sub-contracting me.. :)

this thread gets more and more interesting :D

Well then. You're Job-Oxo.

Status
Not open for further replies.