Status
Not open for further replies.

Niall09

Hi guys, first post :D

Just want to ask all you people that know a thing or two about webdesign to review my site, give feedback, whatever. CBB (my first proper website)

Basically, it's a website of a company that a few of my friends from school set up last year in TY. We have decided to keep it running, so I remade our website. We produce revision cards for the Junior Cert.

Shall be getting a new domain soon :)

Thanks!

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Thoughts / Comments / Suggestions

Firstly for a first site its not bad.

My comments are coming from errors / things I don't like on it if it were a professional site.

1: Paypal only ... and saying they must have an account .... no .. you don't .. you can use paypal to receive money without the person having to sign in. I've used it for payment by one or two customers in the past as they didn't have online banking and couldn't do the iban transfers

You have an online order form .. but that doesn't tie into the shop ?

2: All those links on the side to those other sites ... ? what the hell do they have to do with Junior cert revision cards ? Bank of Ireland ? ... Pure Water Systems ? ... erm a junior cert student isn't interested in that. Its find if you want to link build but do you want to at least offer something your target audience might be interested in ?

3: French on your shop is showing up twice even though the second one should say irish.

4: I'm not overly found of your logo.

in various place you use abbreviations ... T.Y. ? what on earth is that ? use the acronym tag to describe it ... what does CBB actually mean ? (isn't that bbc for children or something :p)

All in all it works ... I may even place an order for the french one :D

Forbairt

its Transition Year...

Sorry I was aware of what it was shortly after ...

Haven't not had the option for transition year though it threw me for a bit. I guess if you were a student you'd be aware of the abbrevation but still use the acronym tag :)

n3tFl0w

I didn't have the option either - Glad to as it got me out of school nice and young. But then when I started college I still wasn't able to legally drink :(

I like the idea of these mini-companies that schools are doing now, but who retains ownership in case of a really good idea? Like CBB?

Forbairt

I didn't have the option either - Glad to as it got me out of school nice and young. But then when I started college I still wasn't able to legally drink :(

I was still 20 when I finished a 4 year degree in Engineering :p

For some reason a bit of biro and changing the date on my student ID got into a LOT of places :D (that or they just didn't really care)

n3tFl0w

ha ha ha ha excellent. Don't think my DOB was on my student card so that was handy for the college bars.

Was 21 myself leaving college. Quite proud of how young I am and how far I've gotten :)

Forbairt

ha ha ha ha excellent. Don't think my DOB was on my student card so that was handy for the college bars.

Was 21 myself leaving college. Quite proud of how young I am and how far I've gotten :)

me too ... I've made it to many other bars since :D

Niall09

Thoughts / Comments / Suggestions

Firstly for a first site its not bad.

My comments are coming from errors / things I don't like on it if it were a professional site.

1: Paypal only ... and saying they must have an account .... no .. you don't .. you can use paypal to receive money without the person having to sign in. I've used it for payment by one or two customers in the past as they didn't have online banking and couldn't do the iban transfers

You have an online order form .. but that doesn't tie into the shop ?

2: All those links on the side to those other sites ... ? what the hell do they have to do with Junior cert revision cards ? Bank of Ireland ? ... Pure Water Systems ? ... erm a junior cert student isn't interested in that. Its find if you want to link build but do you want to at least offer something your target audience might be interested in ?

3: French on your shop is showing up twice even though the second one should say irish.

4: I'm not overly found of your logo.

in various place you use abbreviations ... T.Y. ? what on earth is that ? use the acronym tag to describe it ... what does CBB actually mean ? (isn't that bbc for children or something :p)

All in all it works ... I may even place an order for the french one :D

Thanks for this!

1. Ok, Thanks for that, I shall change that. Obout the order form, that's an alternative method for people who don't want to buy online (or simply dont have a way of purchasing them online), so they can submit an order, we can post it out and they can post back the cash etc.

2. About them links, these are our sponsors. I was thinking about changing them to more useful links like skool.ie and more sites like that.

3. I can't see that? There is a mistake there, the spanish card says is down as irish.

4. What could I add to it to make it better?

Yes TY is Transition Year. CBB originally meant Christian Brothers Business (i know...lets blame the teachers ;)), so we kinda had to scrap that name this year. But CBB is kinda catchy imo.

Thanks again for the feedback :)

Forbairt

on the shop .. first card says french and the second one does as well I'll take a screenshot when I'm back from getting a breakfast roll :D

well if ye are sticking with the name and can acquire a domain with it ye are happy with ... go for it ... but are ye positive ye want to stick with Christian Brothers Business as what it stands for ?

In terms of SEO ... you don't have different headers / titles

You don't really describe what the cards are in there ... its obvious if you know and are buying them ... but think about how someone will find ye through the search engines ? ...

Flash Cards / Revision Cards / Study Guides / Aides ... and so on

Niall09

I see the French thing now, thanks :)

You see, we are dropping the Christian Brothers Business, the company name (when we register it) will be CBB.

Forbairt

Well I guess ye've got the history of the name and why ye are who ye are. Still seems a bit weird going forward to have an abbreviation without it actually meaning something. One of the first things I always check for in a logo / name is what it stands for.

nevf

Well I guess ye've got the history of the name and why ye are who ye are. Still seems a bit weird going forward to have an abbreviation without it actually meaning something. One of the first things I always check for in a logo / name is what it stands for.
Agreed. I usually go to Google as well and type in "define:cbb", usually tells me, or even urban dictionary, but not in this case.

Also, alternative payment methods to paypal can be a little on the expensive side so just do your research. When you register the company, and open the bank account, you will then have to do the transfer of assets, and sign a Merchant Services Agreement. Just be ready for all the crap to hit the fan :)

I am also in 5th year, skipped TY, and tbh, I'm glad. I'm going to be doing the LC at 17, turning 18 straight after, going to college, and then get drunk somewhere in between.

By the way, i dont think i already mentioned it, but I really like your website, it's nice, simple, does exactly what the tin says. Maybe expand more on a few details as well would also do wonders for the SEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.