Site Thumbnail Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you know I also run a couple of directories, including Search Ireland and Irish sites - Browse.ie , Irish Search and Directory Ireland and Irish Ecommerce Directory - Online Shopping in Ireland

I'm currently using a free service to display screenshots / thumbnails of sites on browse.ie
Unfortunately the service only works for sites that are listed in DMOZ, so quite a large number of the listings don't have a screenshot.

Does anyone know of any idiot proof method I could use to generate screenshots / thumbnails of the sites?

louie

do you want an automated service or a manual editing?

louie

Let see what we have here and corect me if i am wrong.

All your search sites are manually edited and what I mean is that the website owners add the data itself. You want to give them an option to upload an image (screen shot) as well if available. That image has to be processed by the thumbnail generator to create a standard size for all (100px or 150px width).

If that's the case then it shouldn't cost you a "fortune" at all.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm

You've turned that on its head :)

The way I'm doing it at the moment is to automatically display an image if one exists on the 3rd party service I'm using. I hadn't really considered allowing the webmasters to upload thumbnails.... Hmmm

/me goes off to mull it over

louie

I'll be honest, to allow them to upload an image is the easiest part unless you are going to do that yourself manually.

I have a php class for creating html to image but requires some sort of ActiveX object or an .exe file installed on the server.
The .exe file will trow a IE warning as a key stroke catcher (Alt+PrintScreen) so is not really that useful.

louie

I knew that the reason i never mention it before.
alexa is using some sort of software but they payed for it a lot I suppose.

paulocon

Blacknight,

You should be able to grab php code from the web that'll allow you upload images and resize them accordingly..

It's pretty straightforward, I do it with a lot of the Content Managed Systems I've designed (Estate Agents etc..)

Regards,
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.