Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr T

Hi,

I have been running a site for about 18 months now,its a simple vBulletin forum and I am very happy with the progress.I am running it as a hobby and I enjoy it so I am happy to cover the cost of running the site.The costs at the moment are minimum,I have paid for my vBulletin license so its basically just hosting which is about 13 euro a month.

Now one thing concerns me,the site is really taken off and while I am happy to cover the costs for the moment I wounder how far away I am from these costs increasing and me having to revaluation the situation.I have never had adds or anything like that on the site but I may have to look at this again.

What has me concerned is the year on year growth is very good,I no this is a good problem to have but I would like to have a plan in place encase the worst happens and I have to start making some cash from the site.

If anybody has any suggestions for me I would be very grateful as this is just a hobby for me,I am no techie and have learned this stuff as I go.

Here are some stats from the site (these firures are from Setp so have gone up a bit since)..

In Sept I had over 8,000 Unique visitors,in Sep 07 this was 2068.This is a increase of over 300% year on year.

The Bandwidth used up in Sept 08 was 12.29 GB and in Sept 07 it was only 2.83 GB.

4,031701 hits in Sept 08 and only 861187 12 months ago.

Average of 720 visits per day,12 months ago this was 172.This was also a massive increase of 318% year on year

Most users ever online was 182

The site has over 2,000 members with just over 100,000 posts.

paul

Ninja
So you want to recoup your costs ? Some ideas::

• Why not have some premium memberships (vbulletin offers a subscription engine)
  • Do you have any ads on it ? AdSense might bring in a few $$'s
  • Run a donation campaign via paypal or something
Can you share the URL or niche ?

Mr T

I don't necessarily want to recoup my costs as I am happy enough as its not costing me much to run at the moment,but I can see a time if the current growth continues I may have to invest some more cash into the site.Ideally I could raise this cash from the site.

The site is Irishkop.com

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Adsense would be the obvious thing to look at first

If you check out vBulletin.org Forum - The Official vBulletin Resource! (and threads on the forum section here as well) you should find plenty of mod / expansions that can help you to get adsense integrated with the site.

How many "core" members do you have?

There should be plenty of affiliate options open to you as well... even spreadshirt tshirts might be an option (though I'm not sure how licensing would work with a premier league team....)

Mr T

How many "core" members do you have?

I would say about 500/600 core members,I clear all inactive accounts after a while.I have just got some Polo shirts done up and it was such a success I am putting in another order for more Polos and Hoodies/fleece tops.I do these for cost price as its good advertisement for the site.

I have read up a bit on things like Adsense etc but they seem like a lot of effort for very little return,I don't want to do anything that would turn people off the site.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I have read up a bit on things like Adsense etc but they seem like a lot of effort for very little return,I don't want to do anything that would turn people off the site.

Some people are comfortably making several thousand dollars a month from Adsense :)

Mr T

Some people are comfortably making several thousand dollars a month from Adsense :)

I suppose its something I may have to re think.I am sure my stats are nowhere near that level,on a side note what are Stats like the ones I have posted above like for a site going 18 months..?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I have a colleague in the UK who makes £250.00 per day from adsense with a small health-related site
I can well imagine :)

Health related ads would have a very high rate, so if the integration was good then you could get a nice tidy return (note to self - do a health related website)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose its something I may have to re think.I am sure my stats are nowhere near that level,on a side note what are Stats like the ones I have posted above like for a site going 18 months..?
The level of traffic isn't the only factor when it comes to the likes of adsense.

It's the "type" of traffic that makes all the difference

If you just want to dip your toes, as it were, then you can easily setup adsense in your vbulletin archives (though it won't give you much indication of overall potential earnings)

how-to-fiend

I am sure my stats are nowhere near that level

Really all depends on what topics your forum members are discussing and how many visitors those threads attract. You would need to keep track of which threads are giving high paying clicks and promote those threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.