Status
Not open for further replies.

fennk

Hi all,
I had a website designed recently and can't seem to get it finished by the guy I hired to do it so I have cut my losses. Is is possible to get a web designer to finish someone elses work? Being in business myself, I would never take over a job started by another company but I don't know what else to do. The site has been live since Jan 24th but he never seemed to finish it off after promising me on at least ten separate occassions. I was also quoted for CMS but did not get that either! I know a small bit about web design and I think the problem he had with this was that with the design he gave me it was not possible to have CMS. I have cut my losses, agreed to pay him the balance less CMS and leave it at that. He seems ok with this so obviously doesn't need the work... All I need now is someone to upload pictures and add some text. I might need some of the page titles changed as most are the same besides the homepage.
I do not wish to mention the man name or blast him online so please don't ask. Any help would be much appreciated and please remember we are in a recession so financial rapists need not apply!

fennk

I would rather not, I don't want to be giving the previous designer a bad name. If you give me a way of contacting you I will forward it on.

tomed

Please remember we are in a recession so financial rapists need not apply!

Anyone else getting tired of the "recession" excuse when it comes to paying for a website?

Just a note - most web design companies haven't felt the recession yet, so they're most likely charging the same amount as last year.

With respectable companies, you'll still get a decent job for your dollar, regardless of whether we are in a recession or not!

Pixelcraft

Yup Tomed. Perhaps if you had hired a professional at a professional fee, then you wouldn't be in this predicament.

fennk

Anyone else getting tired of the "recession" excuse when it comes to paying for a website?

Just a note - most web design companies haven't felt the recession yet, so they're most likely charging the same amount as last year.

With respectable companies, you'll still get a decent job for your dollar, regardless of whether we are in a recession or not!

I thought I was paying a professional. I viewed previous work and all the rest.
I also paid enough for the work that was done on my site. I don't get websites designed for me on a daily basis so I was not sure of the costs involved, I went with the best salesman I suppose.
When I refered to a "Recession" I was talking about my business not yours! (I am closely involved with the building industry)
You are only busy because existing business's are looking for sites designed to have the edge on their competition or existing sites being improved to do so, this will change in time.
If you are so busy why comment on my post? Thats not a question by the way!

Pixelcraft

You are only busy because existing business's are looking for sites designed to have the edge on their competition or existing sites being improved to do so, this will change in time.
Not so sure, as with building, the web has already had its boom and bust, I don't predict there will be another one anytime soon

fennk

Not so sure, as with building, the web has already had its boom and bust, I don't predict there will be another one anytime soon

Its not just the building industry affected by the recession.
It was started by the building industry but who knows where it will end.
People are not spending, this is a fact. The web went through it with Silicone Valley and the likes, I doubt if it refers to web design in Ireland ten years ago.
I think everyone has enough of recession talk so we will agree to disagree..

tomed

I thought I was paying a professional. I viewed previous work and all the rest.
I also paid enough for the work that was done on my site. I don't get websites designed for me on a daily basis so I was not sure of the costs involved, I went with the best salesman I suppose.
When I refered to a "Recession" I was talking about my business not yours! (I am closely involved with the building industry)
If you are so busy why comment on my post? Thats not a question by the way!

Hi Fennk,

I read back over my post and I have to apologise. It comes across as being a personal attack, but it wasn't meant to be. It was more of a general enquiry to all the web designers that will post here. I do completely sympathise with your situation.

However, the fact that the web designer hasn't completed the job leads me to believe that you weren't paying him a price that reflects the work he carried out for you. If you did, you've been rightly ripped off and should take legal advice on that.

Whether you have been affected by the recession or not is irrelevant to a web design company who are busy at the moment.

You hit the nail on the head, they are busy at the moment while companies try and get an edge.

So should web design companies take a cheap and nasty job as a favour to someone they don't know to help them out of the down turn their company is facing? No.

The reality is that the best ones will take business from those companies that respect that there is a lot of work involved in creating a website that will give them a return on their investment. Those business that want to succeed are happy to pay the going rate to get a great web developer who can help generate business for them through their website.

So when in your position, I think you are best cutting your loses and employing a company that will deliver on their promises, but they aren't going to be cheap and unlikely to give "recession" prices.

Why can I comment on your post? Well that's simply called the art of delegation. :)

But it's also part of a bigger strategy to keep my business running through the recession - using the web as a marketing tool - which is something you need to be doing, so post your website address! :)

fennk

The person I used approached me and asked if I wanted a new design for my site. He said that the old site was dated and needed to look more professional. He offered a price and said it was slightly reduced on the basis that he had added content to the previous site. I had a think about it and went with him. I had looked at other companies who designed similar sites to mine but when I typed in the relevent keywords I thought they would use I got no results for the sites. I had got quotes of between €2,200-€4,000k for my site which consists of about 6 pages. I looked at sites this guy had designed and they seemed to work better as far as search results. I may be a dummy when it comes to web design but I had done a little more homework than the average client, not out of being mean about it but out of a genuine interest.
The reason I didn't want to put the address up was because there is a link to another web designer that I did work for and I did not want you all putting 2+2 together and getting 22.
If he under priced the site then tough, I did not change anything or ask for any more. We all take a hit now and again, but a true professional will suck it up and finish the job as discussed and maybe hope for either referrals etc.
Like I said we can talk about this all day.

tomed

So from this I'm guessing you spent less than 2k. Which you would never get a professional site with a CMS for. Maybe from a freelancer yes - but not a proper company.

I completely agree with you about the ethics of doing business, but my point is more around "expect what you pay for" mentality. He obviously didn't value you as a customer and that's a pity on your behalf.

I hope you can get someone to sort things out for you and wish you the best of luck with it!

MickyWall

Any help would be much appreciated and please remember we are in a recession so financial rapists need not apply!

Fennk that seems a bit strong.

Basically you want someone to work for peanuts, do you work for peanuts?

It would be interesting to hear the designers side of the story. I'm sure it's totally different.

From a gut feeling I'm going to stick up for your designer. It sounds like you have tortured this guy, and are expecting far too much from the budget you agreed upon.

fennk

Fennk that seems a bit strong.

Basically you want someone to work for peanuts, do you work for peanuts?

It would be interesting to hear the designers side of the story. I'm sure it's totally different.

From a gut feeling I'm going to stick up for your designer. It sounds like you have tortured this guy, and are expecting far too much from the budget you agreed upon.

How would you come up with that conclusion from me asking for help.

fennk

From what you've posted. If I'm wrong then I'll take it all back.
Well, am I wrong?

He came to me offering his services, he sent me a mock up of the site ,he quoted me the price. He left the site with half the pictures that were on the older version. A couple of months previous to that I had done a deal with him for SEO again I had no idea what was involved only that my site was just sitting there with a small amount of hits. He said he was doing 10hrs at it and wanted €500 I paid the amount and since writing these posts I have received pm from different guys who are professionals and they have said there is no sign of it on the site. When he did the SEO he showed me new page titles and descriptions and said this was the Seo, I have found out since then that it does not have a lot to do with this.
I did not come online slating this man and posting his name, I came for help. All I seem to be getting is people talking before they read mt posts properly.

• I did not get the site from him to get a cheap job, I trusted him and thought that he was looking after me because I have a number of business and he was looking for on going work with different sites and updating.

• I did not realise that Seo is on ongoing thing and should cost more than this so please everyone don't start slating me that I paid peanuts so I got what I deserved. I did not know the costs and work involved until now.
He told me he was starting the site before Christmas, it still not finished and he said he didn't have much on. If I made his life a missery it was from ringing and pleading with him to finish my site that I HAD NO PROBLEM PAYING FOR. I have mailed him phoned him, he promises me everytime it will be done tomorrow, next wk etc. Its still not finished. Did I make his life a missery? I am going to now after you winding me up.
I will not reply to anymore comments.

louie

Tread closed.
I have the feeling this is going to take a different turn so ....

I think everyone got offended, (and I have to agree) with the last sentence,
Any help would be much appreciated and please remember we are in a recession so financial rapists need not apply!

which does sound a bit hash, but I believe he didn't mean it as it sounds, because the respect for the developer is still there... so tread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.