Status
Not open for further replies.

bober

Hi I'm looking for some advise on how to rank for specific keywords.

I blog about Internet marketing, Social Media and Google I would like to be found for certain terms that are of high competition.

Lets say I'm looking to rank for Internet marketing & various similar terms what's the best practice/way to move up the ranks?

Put the term in my title, description, keywords, content, <em> & <strong> in content, tags on images, Blog tags,

Suggestions are welcomed, thanks.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Just focus on the content. If you start messing about with fonts and other stuff you're likely to get penalised.
Remember - the terms you're interested in are highly competitive and also attract a lot of spam, so ranking for them isn't easy

bober

ok that's cool, the only concern is that being a blog my content writing will be diverse. It has the potential to take it's own direction. Still early days anyway :)

link8r

That's the downside to blogging. There is a myth that says that a "blog" is always good for SEO but if you work with lots of sites with/without blogs you can start to see how Google deals with them. The most popular myth is probably "Frequently updating content" is good for SEO. It's probably (90% of the time) good for users (unless the content is static or representative of something that doesn't change) but the hear of it - frequently added content does not make Google more interested. In a blog, frequent posting expands the number of keywords the blog is relevant for - and if it has the right authority - what it will rank for (a bit like as I was showing you last week when we tested to see where my blog would rank for "Digital Advertising Ireland"). Because of the RSS and ping capability in a blog, it certainly can be indexed a lot, lot faster than even a PR5 website. This makes it look better from an SEO point of view but it's only half the story.

Hey bober Im afraid when it comes to seriously competitive tasks like those mentioned, the SEO aspects you call out are just some of many many tasks youre going to have to undertake. Be prepared to put tons of hours in as it really can become a full time job. Perhaps try and further refine the terms so they are less broad, like for example adding in your locale/geographic location to begin with at least, that way you're not competing in such a large pond?

bober

like for example adding in your locale/geographic location to begin with at least, that way you're not competing in such a large pond?
Do you mean adding my location in Google Places? I thought about that, as this would be my home location I decided not to.

Also, Suppose I was just using my site as refernce & wanting to know the best practice for bumbing up the ranks. (where i could gain & where i'd be waisting time).

No, by GeoLocation Im suggesting for example if you are in Cork you start to optimise your pages for "Internet Marketing Cork" rather than just "Internet marketing" which is a much bigger competitive pond to begin swimming in. Does that make sense?
Cheers

SupNY

Get your title and description tags keyworded up for your home page, then start getting some anchor text backlinks for those keywords, thats how your going to progress in your ranks.

bober

Get your title and description tags keyworded up for your home page, then start getting some anchor text backlinks for those keywords, thats how your going to progress in your ranks.
cheers SupNY - just the kind of help i was looking for :) i've been meaning to re-write my tags and be more specific, anchor text with backlinks is on the list as well.

justy

I am a Search Engine Optimization newbie. I have read a little on various forums, browsed a few articles, and read through The Affiliate Masters Course (Ken Evoy) a couple of times.Eleven days ago I invested a little of my affiliate earnings in a new product that was being launched.The Dowser Professional is a keyword research tool on steroids, and has allowed me to improve the returns from the few existing niche websites I already have, and find a number of new niches very quickly.

MySpace Layouts

For a specific keyword to be ranked one should follow certain steps.Some of the steps includes:
1.Lay the groundwork.
2.Do the keyword research
The keyword research should be done to find the keywords which are relevant to the topic.
3.Consider the competition for the keywords.
The keyword competition should be considered as a major factor when considering specific keyword ranking.'
4. In dense research
In dense research should be done before selecting the keyword.

Status
Not open for further replies.