Synchronise DBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodenToys.ie

Hi folks,

I have two sites with their own DBs. When something happens on one site, i want to update the DB on the other site.

Trouble is the DBs seem to be on different servers. What are my options?

Ideally I would like the update to occur instantly, but I could live with it if it were to happen daily.

How can I do this? Get site 1 to write a db script and set up a chron job on the other to suck it in? That seems messy. But how would I get the file from account 1 on server A to account 2 on server B?

Thanks in advance folks

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
So is one of the databases always sending data to the other or is it going in both directions?

WoodenToys.ie

Going in both directions actually...

I've been thinking... I've probably been making this more complicated than it needs to be... I guess there's no reason I can't have both sites talking to both databases... I assume it's just a matter of the db server accepting connections from the ip address of both sites?

KevinG

Any chance you could get away with just one database which both sites access? It seems that most of the complication comes from having 2 DBs! I suppose this would only be an option if there were a lot of shared data between the two...

Which DBMS are you using? some have special tools for syncing DBs - but it's always going to be rather complicated!

Status
Not open for further replies.