Timestamp? Little help pweez :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicformedia

Hi guys,
Need some help. Beginner level at html.

I have an mp3 player on my site:
Soundtrack.ie - Custom Soundtracks

Everytime I change .xpsf file for it, the playlist doesnt update.

Also happens with the news viewer on my main page aswell - everytime I try and update the xml file it won't update.

Forbairt said something about having to introduce a timestamp to it...

It made sense when he said it, but I'm not too sure what to do with it now. Any ideas? Is there any easy way of doing it? I thought it should just update straight away - it used to anyway :(

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
it was a suggestion to use a timestamp

when you add parameters to files they tend not to be cached ... (generally speaking)

so adding on <?PHP echo time(); ?> to the end of your http://soundtrack.ie/xspf_player_slim.swf?playlist_url=mfm2.xpsf&autoload=1&autoplay=1&beans=<?PHP echo time(); ?>
may do the trick

Forbairt

I agree with the comment ... but ... I don't know .. maybe its cus I work from home I don't mind it that much if it loads.

Its also a case of instantly hearing the music ... if I have to search to click on it then hmm... I may not.

so I'm torn on which you should do :D

garycocs

Ya I scared the bejesus out of everyone in the office here, cool tune and all that but dunno I was all ways turned off sites like that?

EDIT: Also you are kinda targetting one audience playing one song, I mean there are loads of different types of tunes and music people look for and if that one automatically comes on it might turn people away if they were looking for something classical?

musicformedia

Sorry, for the late reply

Right - this is really weird now. I tried adding that to it, and it made no difference.

I've no deleted my xpsf file - so the mp3 player on the site should have no playlist to be able to play music, yet it still doing it with the same playlist! Arr!

I agree you with all on the music auto loading. What about something a lot more calm and quiet loading?

Maybe something like this piece: Calm - AudioJungle
Its fairly quiet and relaxing and isnt as full on as the Asteroids track.

musicformedia

I agree with the comment ... but ... I don't know .. maybe its cus I work from home I don't mind it that much if it loads.

Its also a case of instantly hearing the music ... if I have to search to click on it then hmm... I may not.

so I'm torn on which you should do :D

Thats exactly my issue aswell - I know myself, I probably wouldn't go looking for the music if I just stumbled across the site

Maybe something less "in your face" like the track above.

Anyone have any ideas on the other problem - the xml file for the flash news viewer won't update either... :(

musicformedia

Thanks man! :)

I think its probably just fluke that it turned out well lol. I'm happy with it anyway - works well I think, and I love the blue and black together, so I thought it worked well

Cheers ;)

musicformedia

Thanks very much guys :)

I've changed the music on the start page now, so its not as abrupt and loud as beforehand - its a more relaxed and quiet piece now - works a bit better

Forbairt

Hmm ... could I maybe recommend a cookie where if the user clicks stop playing ... the next time they visit the page they'll not have the music automagically play ?

Could be a nice-ish solution.

A BIG play music button might be nice as well ... the music player needs to be more pronounced.

musicformedia

@Forbairt - Hmmm..well first off I havent a clue how to do that lol. But I like the idea - I'll look into it today.

@ Gary - what version of flash is in ff3 do you know? Works in ff2 for me

I think I will be getting a nicer music player for the site aswell so I can slot it in somewhere on it rather than the small one that is currently there - I just still havent found a nice one for the site yet to be honest

Forbairt

not workin today in ff3 for me on a mac as well .. whatever most recent stable ff3 is

Status
Not open for further replies.