ubuntu upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazzjazz

I am running Dapper for quite a while now on my main pc and have been reluctant to upgrade to Edgy -> Feisty -> Gutsy.

However, i want to take the plunge now! Is it a relatively smooth process? Will all my installed packages still be there?

I will use 'gksu "update-manager -c" ' as this seems to be the best and most stable option.

Any hints or tips appreciated!

regards,

Barry

gav240z

Lastest Ubuntu

Hi Barry,
Good to see another Ubuntu enthusiast. I am not using your version of Ubuntu however I did try updating from Fiesty Fawn (6.X???) to 7.4 / 7.10 and had a couple of problems because of non-standard components (I think in my case Beryl).

I was instructed to remove this component and try upgrading after that. Had I had a standard Ubuntu I think it should have gone fine, however since I had played around alot with Ubuntu I had a couple of issues.

There is help on the forum and a Mirc channel which is really helpful. Do let us know how you got on. Each version of Ubuntu seems to be a significant improvement in terms of plug and play ability and easy to use features.

bazzjazz

Hey Gav,

Thanks for the reply.

I am writing this from a nice shiny iMac, so as you can guess the upgrade didn't go according to plan!

I had quite a few issues during the upgrade process and gave up eventually and got a Mac (which I had been threatening to do for quite a while anyway).

So I am using the Mac as my day to day machine and have Ubuntu (Edgy) on an older laptop to play with!

cheers,

Barry

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Upgrading from one version of Ubuntu to another hasn't caused me that many issues apart from ones with my graphics card. That always seems to cause issues :(

bazzjazz

I think the upgrade was more due to having a bit of a flaky pc rather than the upgrade process itself. Too many disks, problems with Grub, and a lack of Linux experience....

tbh I was looking for an excuse to get a Mac :)

Gimp is good but, for me, couldn't replace Photoshop!

Status
Not open for further replies.