Validation how are ya?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandad

I have recently started using Google Analytics. Great tool. I'm annoyed that I didn't sign up for it ages ago.

BUT - I notice to my amusement that according to validator.w3.org, it fails with 16 errors [including no Doctype]

According to my Firefox HTML Tidy, it has 114 errors and 514 warnings.

Not bad for a site in the forefront of web technology.

Is this a record?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Doubtful :)

A lot of prominent websites fail basic tests

For example Amazon's affiliate system producing non-compliant HTML and always has done.

grandad

You're right.

amazon.com fails w3.org with 972 errors [including of course no Doctype] and HTML Tidy gives them a mere 1354 warnings. Not bad.

I don't often have a good word for Mickeysoft, but at least they have a Doctype and only fail on 2 errors.

Gavin

Google fails it too :rolleyes:

I started redesign my sites to pure CSS which has helped cut the errors right down and now its just a matter of tweaking them to pass.

grandad

If the big players don't bother their backsides, then what chance do the rest of us have?

You can't have a page much plainer that the Google front page. Yet they can't even get that right :eek:

Gavin

The Google page was a total shocker to me, like C'mon that page is so basic! Dont they always blow their trumpet that our pages should validate?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The Google page was a total shocker to me, like C'mon that page is so basic! Dont they always blow their trumpet that our pages should validate?

Yup, but they obviously couldn't be bothered doing it themselves!

Redfly

If the big players don't bother their backsides, then what chance do the rest of us have?

You can't have a page much plainer that the Google front page. Yet they can't even get that right :eek:

They don't get it right intentionally. If it was vlaid, it would have extra tags and attributes to those tags. All adding additional bytes to the page. Now, think of how many unique visits a day Google.com gets. Bandwidth costs still mean something to them. (Barely though).

louie

there is a tread on boards.ie about validation and w3c badges. they have a totally different opinion like they don't care.

ph3n0m

any bitching about the moderator on boards.ie in the webmaster forum shall be dealt with by forcing that person to look at the new Bus Eireann homepage forever and ever and ever :)

RedCardinal

Nah, it's got to be a holding page? It cant be a 'real' website?

I wrote a blog post about it last night - it's an absolute shocker. And the best (worst??) bit is that CIE received over €283m of tax-payers funds last year.

Redfly

And the best (worst??) bit is that CIE received over €283m of tax-payers funds last year.

Are you serious!?

I actually thought the site was hacked. Just goes to show, never let a woman at the code ;)

*** Discalimer***
I love women. I think they are great. They are great. The above comment was NOT intended to offend.

grandad

any bitching about the moderator on boards.ie in the webmaster forum shall be dealt with by forcing that person to look at the new Bus Eireann homepage forever and ever and ever :)

There is nothing wrong with the Bus Eireann homepage. I think it is very good. I am proud of my granddaughter for writing it. You have to admit it is damn good for a two year old.

And as for bitching about the moderator on boards.ie - watch it! You are treatening a moderator on IrishWebmasterForum. Michele may not have indicated my status, but I can still play havoc with your posts. :D

ph3n0m

There is nothing wrong with the Bus Eireann homepage. I think it is very good. I am proud of my granddaughter for writing it. You have to admit it is damn good for a two year old.

And as for bitching about the moderator on boards.ie - watch it! You are treatening a moderator on IrishWebmasterForum. Michele may not have indicated my status, but I can still play havoc with your posts. :D

maybe so, but I am Michele's bitch - so who do you think has more sway :) (looking smug )

Status
Not open for further replies.