vaveeva.com faking 'Online' numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubl1nguy112

Check it out:

Halfway down the page on the left hand side of the homepage vaveeva.com have listed their online numbers as '1759' thing is tho it's been like that all day .... same with the 160 and 159 counts in the notice board and forums. (today is 10th April by the way - the reason I say this is because I reckon they will have a 'quote of the day' type script that will change those numbers daily

I got the impression from the press coverage they were getting that they were a legitimate site, then I see crap like that!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I had a quick browse of their forums and they look pretty dead to me ...

Redfly

It's actually a fairly common thing to do. A while back I used to do something similar to give an feeling of a busier forum when setting up my travel forum. Between that and paid forum posts, it worked and I could remove it.

Sometimes you have to do what you can. Even if that means loosing some of your more technically minded doubters ;)

vaveeva

Not sure what the issue is here

Vaveeva here to answer any of your issues, the numbers are all correct, they are SQL queries on our database showing how many members we currently have, how many posts are in our forums and how many items are on the notice board. The site was only officially launched last month and is doing well.

Why would you think we are faking the numbers, surely if a site was going to fake numbers they would choose 450,000 members instead of 1752.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It's the way you word it "members online" suggests "number of people online at this moment" it does not suggest total number of members

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
According to today's papers Vaveeva is shutting down. The site's unreachable at the moment

jmcc

According to today's papers Vaveeva is shutting down. The site's unreachable at the moment
Market consolidation or general clue failure? I've been working on this historical domain database (tracking domain movements/regs since 2000) continuously for the last few days and didn't even get to read the newspapers yet. :)

Regards...jmcc

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
There was a very small snippet in the Sunday Business Post. No analysis or anything

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I think it was trying to be a social networking site for foreigners in or moving to Ireland. I know they were good at the PR spin, since they seem to have got quite a few column inches...

jmcc

The complete survival guide to living and working in Ireland Vaveeva.com has everything you need to know about living and working in Ireland.
Complete except for how to survive and work as a web portal operator in Ireland? I wonder if it followed the 18 month rule for new directories/searchengines?

Regards...jmcc

Status
Not open for further replies.