Visualising numerical data

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcc

What would be the best format (barchart, piechart, line, stacked, polar, scatter) for visualising numerical data? The data is the number of domain transfers between hosters over a year. Each hoster would have a list of its biggest predators (domains/hoster) by domain transfers and a list of its biggest prey. I've been thinking about using a simple barchart but is there any better way to represent the patterns? (The software being used is a the Flash graph software from maani.us and I've been using it for domain count graphs and it is fairly versatile as regards graph formats.)

Regards...jmcc

jmcc

I like the piecharts.
I was going to use the top five or ten for each hoster. The piecharts might look nice but the SQL could be a bit tricky (two queries per table - one for the top five and another for the rest).

Regards...jmcc

louie

Depending on you DB setup you can make one query, store the data into arrays and work it from there...

jmcc

Depending on you DB setup you can make one query, store the data into arrays and work it from there...
Well it is a very big database. :) It is the hosting data for approximately 2.5 million hosters going back to 2000 and covers the .ie/com/net/org/biz/info/mobi/asia/eu/co.uk TLDs. The number of queries and their complexity is an important factor especially when Google or Yahoo or Microsoft hit the site. Four fast and simple queries per TLD will work for each chart. The Flash graph program is fed from the XML generated by the queries.

Regards...jmcc

louie

Are you going to use the Google chart API system?
For that amount of data I suppose you are using MSSQL DB which should make the query a lot easier.

jmcc

Are you going to use the Google chart API system?
For that amount of data I suppose you are using MSSQL DB which should make the query a lot easier.
I am using the Flash graphs software from maani.us. It requires an XML input so that's generated by a PHP script from the database. The db is actually MySQL because of the speed of MyISAM tables and indices. At the moment, the live db on HosterStats.com: Domain Registration Statistics And Historical DNS Database has the domain hosting history for approximately 220 million domains in ie/com/net/org/biz/info/mobi/asia/eu/co.uk. The January 2009 update will go live over the weekend. The stats data tables are smaller than the domain hosting history tables - some of them can have over thirty million rows of data. The production db is running on a P4 with 4G of RAM so counting cycles is essential for the design. If it gets too much stress the db can always be replicated horizontally.

Regards...jmcc

Status
Not open for further replies.