VPS Hosting in Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepHerLit

I have recently been looking at Virtual Private Server Hosting in Ireland. It is for a non-business, non-web application. The application does not require much hard disk space (a few GB would suffice) but it has a very large bandwidth usage requirement - tens of TBs per month.

I haven't been able to find a package that would fit my requirements. Most packages have what I consider to be a low usage cap, in the range of 100s of GBs per month. I also consider most of them to be poor value for money when compared to larger companies abroad. Perhaps that is an unfair comparison given that the Irish market probably isn't huge. However, some of the prices on offer are far more expensive than what is available abroad for inferior specs, I'm surprised some of these hosts get any business at all...

If anyone knows of a good high-bandwidth VPS offering that is physically hosted in Ireland please shout.

These are the entry-level offerings I've come across:

SecureHost.ie - €19.99/month, 1GB RAM, 10GB HDD, 10TB traffic/month
Host.ie - €29.99/month, 1GB RAM, 10GB HDD, 50GB traffic/month
SpiralHosting.com - €40.00/month, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, 1TB traffic/month
MyHost.ie - €14.99/month, 512MB RAM, 15GB HDD, 500GB traffic/month
Blacknight.com - €12.95/month, 512MB RAM, 15GB HDD, 500GB traffic/month
LetsHost.ie - €20.00/month, 1GB RAM, 20GB HDD, 500GB traffic/month
WebWorld.ie - €10.00/month, 1GB RAM, 25GB HDD, 500GB traffic/month

Not interested in Azure or AWS.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Could Irish providers offer more bandwidth? Yes, but the bulk of demand we see is for the other features. Not bandwidth.
I don't think you're being realistic about the costs of bandwidth.

Also I'd check the location of the servers being advertised by some of the providers you listed. At least one of them is reselling from a large European provider.

Michele

KeepHerLit

Certainly what you're saying is borne out by the services I've come across. I understand bandwidth is a significant cost but given what I've been reading about Ireland becoming the 'data-centre capital' of Europe I expected better VPS offerings than what I've found. Some of the offerings above are so poor in spec and value that the only reason I can think of for people buying them is ignorance about what else is on offer in the UK and the Continent. But yes, point taken about providers tailoring their products for what customers are demanding.

As far as checking the locations of the servers goes, I can only go by what's written on the providers' websites? If it is not explicitly stated that the hosting is provided in Ireland then I guess it probably safe to assume it isn't...

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Location: I'd ask. Or you could check the whois for the IP of their site etc.,
Offering more bandwidth, if that's your main concern, is something that some of us are planning on doing, but it wouldn't be in the region of what you're asking for.

Michele

Numptimpen

Choose a host who understands your specific needs, and who can sit down with you and talk about what your needs are, and how that host can accommodate those needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.