Status
Not open for further replies.

paintballer.ie

I am just wondering as to how my site compares with the rest of irish websites.

PaintBaller.ie - The Home of Paintball in Ireland is just over a year old, its an online forum and community for paintballers in ireland.

For the first few months it was pretty slow, a few 100 unique visitors a month. But then since i started to put on more content and use adwords, it has really jumped up.... ranked 2,500 in alexa for ireland

Unique visitors from cpanel stats
June 07 - 1060
July 07 - 1790
Aug 07 - 2912
Sept 07 - 3873
Oct so far - 2588

Can you remember what your traffic was like for the first year?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The pure numbers aren't something I keep an eye on. I'd be more interested in the number of page views, search engine traffic (ie. which queries are driving the traffic), number of new members etc.,

Fintan

Every website is different as it depends on the target market.

How many people are active/regular paintballers in Ireland?
What percentage of them visit your website?

That should give you a good estimate / benchmark on how your site is doing.

paintballer.ie

Some more numbers for Oct (16/10//07)

Unique Visitors: 2,690
No. of visits: 4,888 (1.8 pages/visit)
Pages: 138,073 (assuming this is pages views) (28 pages per visit)
Hits: 479,776
2gb bandwidth

Search engine words:

paintball7410.8 % rosanna davidson bebo679.8 % paintballer202.9 % paintball bray162.3 % paintballer.ie152.1 % paintball.ie142 % paintball ireland131.9 % paintballing101.4 % paintballing bray101.4 % paintballing ireland91.3 % Other phrases43563.6 %

the rosanna davidson bebo one is a bit strange, but meh, it i get hits out of it.

There are very few paintballers in ireland who play in the competitions, less than 200. The main source of traffic i think is the reviews section, where people can see what crossfire is like for example before going up there on their stag due or what ever.

*eidt, that chart of keywords didnt copy in well i notice

paintballer.ie

Just another update on this. I did a little graph awhile ago to show the growth of website and another for the community it was aimed at, both showed simliar trends which I was happy about.

I am not hitting 19k unique per month, as opposed to 2k in Oct '07

Here is the graph:

Unique visitors scale on left i.e. 16,000 unique for Aug
500 members with 2.5m page views.

Around June 07 I started to produce better quality articles and use bebo and face book to spread the work. I also made t-shirts to promote the community.

jmcc

Use a good stats/analytics package (Google Analytics or Statcounter) backed up with a local stats package as it will allow you to see patterns more clearly. The stickiness of the topic is more important than type-in traffic. If you are getting significant bebo traffic then look into a more lightweight mobile version of the site.

Regards...jmcc

paintballer.ie

The bebo traffic is a direct result of the amount of time spent on bebo, i.e. commenting people and leaving the link, not really worth it though in the long run.

I do use goggle analtyics and webmaster tools along with awstats from my hosting company. I use screen shots of them for advertisers etc also.

I am slowly getting the hang of this webmastering thing :)

jmcc

The bebo traffic is a direct result of the amount of time spent on bebo, i.e. commenting people and leaving the link, not really worth it though in the long run.
Anything that targets your key demographic is worth it. Just because you don't see a direct link from bebo to your new sign-ups/traffic does not mean that it is not working. The other thing to look at is a lightweight mobile version of your site. Some of the mobile telcos are now making bebo available as an option on prepay packages and the mobile internet may well grow in the next year or so. Some kind of content push to bebo might be worth looking at as well.

I am slowly getting the hang of this webmastering thing :)
You never stop learning in this business. :)

Regards...jmcc

paintballer.ie

The other thing to look at is a lightweight mobile version of your site.

Ya I will be doing a major upgrade of the site for the summer, so I will be looking for mods / hacks to work with mobile devices. Boards.ie is vbulletin based and when ever i go on it with my ipod it automatically goes to mobile or lo-fi mode.

Cheers for the tips though.

nevf

I visited your website, and then suddenly realised I fell in the marketing statistic trap. ;)

You should target for more than traffic though. Traffic is an expense on a website, in terms of bandwith, albeit a small cost, but you should always aim to turn traffic into something worthwhile and productive.

paul

Ninja
FYI: those info links are just down right annoying (and misleading) , like an ad on the text Click here. So I left.*

*I might be a bit grumpy this morning ...

Status
Not open for further replies.