What to expect from HTML5 [Article]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banta

Hi guys,

Firstly, I think this is probably the best place to post this article. I can see previously that the W3C annoucement for HTML5 was posted in this section at least. I guess soon there'll be a "Basic HTML" section as well as a "HTML5" section on these forums :p

Anyway, I've just recently read a really interesting article on "What to expect from HTML5".

There's some good information on which companies are pushing, which browsers, as well as links at the end for some of the experimental sites where you can look and learn to code in the current "draft" stages of HTML5.

It's a well thought out article also. 1 part I particularly liked at the end:

So much work remains to be done on the HTML5 standard, however, that some organizations are liable to dismiss it as yet another overhyped, up-and-coming technology. That would be a mistake. Standards bodies by their very nature move slowly, but work on HTML5 is being driven by large, motivated vendors
As a friend of mine said after reading it:
I think it's great, if i could code in html5 and css3 without having to worry about old browsers i'd be a happy man. unfortunately we still support ie6 here. too many of our clients still use it to ignore. i love the tags in html 5
So what are peoples thought on HTML5, and the possibilities. Is there scepticism on these boards, or are most of us looking forward to this new technology and ways of creating websites.

Certainly a valid point is how long it'll take for these standards to become the "norm" for people. IE6 is 10 years old! And yet there's still a large number of people on the web out there using it despite the fact that even MS now no longer support it and (in jest) held a funeral for it!

In terms of design and development, there's certainly likely to be a period for some people to host/create/develop 2 seperate versions of sites for clients.

I for one, am looking forward to it. I don't think it's hyped, and as the person who wrote the article said, "Standards bodies by their very nature move slowly..." and yet there's quite an advancement on it thus far, which makes me believe that it's happening, and it's happening soon.

So what are peoples thoughts then?

Status
Not open for further replies.