Status
Not open for further replies.

n3tFl0w

I love my Vista machine. Its an animal. Runs fast, does everything I need it to and has some very very nice features.

People need to move on. You cannot expect your 5yr old PC to run the latest and greatest. Mac and Linux OS's are exactly the same. Want some of that XGL goodness on your Ubuntu release? Get a new PC.

I'm sorry but this happens with every single Windows release. And the next one is worse as they are going to completely demolish the kernel so your 15 yr old printer will never work again. People don't give Apple stick for this but I guarantee MS get absolutely hammered by the "blogging community".

I for one am absolutely tired of this.

n3tFl0w

oh and I'm not really a windows fanboy. I own a macbook (using it to write this) and run a couple of unix fileservers at home...

I see the advantages and disadvantages of all and realise that every OS has its own advantages and purpose.

leftofcentre

Personally i like vista. I think this is because i have a new dell that came with vista so everything works well.

Upgrading an older computer to vista would be nuts.

Brian

nevf

oh and I'm not really a windows fanboy. I own a macbook (using it to write this) and run a couple of unix fileservers at home...

I see the advantages and disadvantages of all and realise that every OS has its own advantages and purpose.
I concur.
Upgrading an older computer to vista would be nuts.
Working in a computer shop and see lots of botched vista installations because of incompatible hardware - I completely agree with you.

RAM is the only thing an ordinary Joe Soap should put into a laptop without prior consultation. Putting new OS's and replacing hard drives never works out well.

gav240z

I wasn't really talking about upgrading on older machines.

I realise MS has a task on its hands with ensuring their OS works on a range of hardware specs, but I am more concerned with privacy and freedom of choice.

In the original link it talks about restrictions to types of media and software you can use with Vista. Large Media houses obviously play part in this role trying to restrict viewing of certain formats etc..

I have a relatively new Toshiba that came with Vista, its an AMD Dual Core Processor with 1.8gb of RAM and an ATI Graphic card. Vista is a pig on it compred with my PC at work which is a Intel Celeron nothing to write home about 1.6ghz PC.

It runs Photoshop Faster and Loads Browsers and Multitasks better than my home Toshiba Laptop which is substaintially faster - or should be.

My Toshiba laptop came bundled with a customised version of Vista to suit my laptop with all these useless utilities they usually bundle with your system. To be quite frank I'm sick of it all, I'm sick of the license restrictions, I'm sick of the different versioning of Windows, I'm sick of the constraints and the total dominance by Microsoft in the market place.

To be honest I can't really name any advantage of Vista over XP. For the common user where is the real advantage? Its just seems more resource hungry to me.

What really annoys me though is that I can't easily install IE6 for browser testing on Vista. I just spent an entire weekend fluffy about trying to get IE6 working under Vista. I finally got something working using Vmware and Win XP.

Fluff, if I had a MAC and parraellels it would have been up in 10 mins.

I'm jumping ship first opportunity :)> My g/f has Ubuntu on her old old laptop and it surfs the web quicker than my new PC with Vista, plus it hasn't given her 1 hassle.

n3tFl0w

What really annoys me though is that I can't easily install IE6 for browser testing on Vista. I just spent an entire weekend fluffy about trying to get IE6 working under Vista. I finally got something working using Vmware and Win XP.

Fluff, if I had a MAC and parraellels it would have been up in 10 mins.

Don't want to sound argumentative here but try and install Safari 2 after you have safari 3 installed on your mac? Nightmare. I know because I had to do it.

As your mac and parallels - $80 just to run IE6? madness I tells you! :D

Unfortunately because Web designers etc are really the only people that will want to run 3 different versions of a browser, it really doesn't justify modifying the OS to allow us to do it. In fact, it would make it less stable and buggy.

Hopefully this link helps anyone else who wants to run IE6 on single PC. Virtualisation is the key(Virtual PC is a nifty piece of software. And Free! More madness:eek:). And the only way to do it on most platforms.

IEBlog : IE6 and IE7 Running on a Single Machine

P.s. Don't mind the bit at the bottom where they talk about VPC2004 not working for vista - use the new Virtual PC app from the microsoft website. That'll do the job.

gav240z

I didn't have any luck with the IE VPC over the weekend, wouldn't download for me, maybe it was my ISP. Trying it at work now, seems to be working.

Will see if its faster than my Vmware configuration.

Cheers,
Gavin.

link8r

I love the Irish attitude to software: why pay for something you can copy!

Everyday I hear - can't we jsut copy that websites content ? Its clearly publicly available. Restrictions by licences - those damn programmers earn too much money anyway, why should I pay €200 for something that cost €1billion in R&D when I can just copy it.

People don't like Ubuntu because it was pioneering or made their lives easier, they like it cos it's free and so is everything that comes with it. Its so funny - read anybody switching from Windows to Linux and you'll see nuggets like "wow, this ubuntu is almost as easy to use as Windows...." or "this ubunut is so clever - they have a menu button on the bottom LHS and a clock on the RHS - ON A TOOLBAR!!! " and other clearly original bits.

We have no respect for soft IPR in this country at all. News, software, content. The jaw-dropping expression of "You can't copy RTE news onto my site for me [cos I'm too ****ing lazy] - what am I not paying you for" ?

Lads, how cheap are we Irish? This view that we've installed the software = all the work is done by us. Driving around Dublin people clearly have no problem dropping €60k on a Mercedes!

I've met so many people who are happy to take a loan for €35k to buy a new VW Polo (with thin grip-free tyres, no TS, no EPS, no metal) but when you tell them they might have to pay €1,000 to market their website [=online business], their face turns to "you want to steal my children" from me ?

FFS

We live in an open economy. IBM thought OS/2 was better than Windows. The MARKET told them they were wrong, just like they got it wrong with the PS/2. I like Windows and have always done so. Sure it's not perfect, but it's better that what UNIX used to be BEFORE it copied Windows. If it was so ****ing bad, it wouldn't be copied and it wouldn't be the market leader.

Lot's of other companies were market leaders in many different areas - they stopped being innovative, stopped thinking and got knocked off. Sure it might and probably will happen to Microsoft -they didn't get it right with Hotmail, MSN Live/Search and other things too. They got replaced. It's not impossible. It's a ****ing operating system not a ****ing religion.

Rant over. Thanks. Feel much better now. Ah, breakfast.

marylane

I like Vista for the built in speech software. Not as good as Dragon Naturally Speak, but really great for article writing.

gav240z

had vista for several months.

I have had Windows Vista for several months and have to say I still hate it with passion. XP was far more stable and easier to use.

Luckily work has given me a MACBOOK pro with Leopard. So much more impressed with a MAC, once you go mac you don't go back :).

Will be selling my Toshiba with Vista to buy a normal Macbook for home usage.

n3tFl0w

I have had Windows Vista for several months and have to say I still hate it with passion. XP was far more stable and easier to use.

Luckily work has given me a MACBOOK pro with Leopard. So much more impressed with a MAC, once you go mac you don't go back :).

Will be selling my Toshiba with Vista to buy a normal Macbook for home usage.

I don't understand the hatred people have for Vista. Its fine. I use it all the time. I use my mac for browsing, vista for gaming and coding and XP for work. They all just do the job. Along with that I don't get all of this inexplicable love for XP. Its an 8 year old OS! That's why its so stable(and even then, it really isn't all THAT stable) Because nothing new is happening with it.

Also I like my Mac, but I wouldn't ever give up my Windows machines.

Sprouter

What's wrong with Vista?
Lol more to the point "What's right with Vista" hehehe, although I shouldn't bag it out, i've only had about 30 minutes total using the monkey :p

I stuck with xp all this time, no need to upgrade to an os that uses more resources and finds it difficult to operate some programs just for the benefit of some fancy graphics lol, I'll wait till Windows 7 is in it's final version with a service pack or 2 before I put xp to bed :D;):cool:

nevf

it's simple. they've changed the layout which was very common with previous versions.
Yes, i agree. I never had too much of a problem with it, and for a while, i though it was just Apple fanboy's spreading rumors about it.

Byron

Here here Link8r,

I totally agree with the "Iorish" attitude towards IT. I changed to linux on my laptop because XP was sh**e on it. Mind you I do loove it on my netbook and Vista on my home PC works fine.

I personally just charge people OTT when they need a security update if they squeeze me to red on normal site costs. It hurts far more.

Redrocket

I still fail to see what these added features are in Vista and 7 by comparison to XP. In both cases of vista and 7 i always spend a day or two turning things off and reverting changes to behave like xp.

Beware in windows 7, if you LOOSE internet/network connectivity and have your firewall turned "OFF", please re-consider turning it back on.......... WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.