Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I won't post a poll, as I know there are literally hundreds to choose from...

Personally I've used (in no particular order):

Movable Type
Wordpress
Drupal
Typo 3
PostNuke
PhpNuke
Joomla
Mambo

Cormac

I've used joomla, mambo and drupal.

Drupal out of those 3 looked really really nice but very complicated to use..i lost interest in it really quickly.

Joomla and Mambo...very bloated. I didn't enjoy working them at all. I was meant to write my own mini cms this summer but i didn't get around to it

I'm currently setting up WP to work as a CMS...there isn't much required to transform it really....I just to get some mods in there and that's it really. There was an article on converting WP to a CMS but it was for an eariler version.

writie

Mambo, and I was very quickly a bit overwhelmed by the shift from html with manual updates to this way of structuring content.

It is easy to use once you get into it, but it took me a while.

My main gripe is the difficulty of getting the archives listed in Google. Anyone got any ideas about making them more SE friendly?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
writie - there are some seo modules / hacks for mambo / joomla that may help. What have you tried?

dave

I use mambo and drupal.

As with Rollo I really like drupal but found it hard to use.
Mambo is difficult to use but once you get the hang of it it's okay.

A lot of the content editors we use are not very computer literate and find it very hard to use.

I much prefer to roll my own. I have written a couple of small ones over the years. I am working on a large scale one at the moment.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
There's also a vbulletin <> drupal bridge mod available.. though I can't see how I would use it

Cormac

i was considering using that actually...but i dumped it. Boards.ie use it for their blog system. I may revisit it sometime but it's not on my agenda at the moment.

I'm looking in Wordpress MU at the moment as an alternative.

gary.b

I coded my own :p

All the ones i tried were too bloated and had too many features i'd never use.

Redfly

Used Mambo but moved most to Joomla (Sites in my sig both run Joomla now).
Drupal was .... ok but we had SEO issues with duplicate content in the nodes.

Wordpress is nice for simpler sites.
EZpublish is great for the more complex site.

tomed

I coded my own :p

All the ones i tried were too bloated and had too many features i'd never use.

I think that's an unfair statement until you've tried them all.

Yes some may be bloated for smaller sites that you only change text on etc, but most of the CMS's out there save hugely on develpment time and can be tailored to use only what you need.

My preference is Typo3 - fully featured, robust, and huge amount of modules available - but it does have a huge learning curve.

AndrewH

Mambo, and I was very quickly a bit overwhelmed by the shift from html with manual updates to this way of structuring content.

It is easy to use once you get into it, but it took me a while.

My main gripe is the difficulty of getting the archives listed in Google. Anyone got any ideas about making them more SE friendly?
There's a SEO tab under the Global Configuration, which allows for more SEO friendly URLs. Have you tried that?

I have, but the site in question hasn't yet been indexed by Google since I switched it to Mambo, so I can't say if it works or not :mad:

- Andrew

figment

We are developing with Expression Engine at the moment on a few sites. So far it seems to be the CMS that we have been looking for for ages. Will let you know how we get on.

Redfly

I'll have to throw in a vote for Expression Engine too. The discussion forum module is really worth the money too.

TheMenace

I generally code my own for smaller jobs; and the odd bigger job, budget permitting. I use IBM WebSphere on a daily basis and have dabbled with TerminalFour's Site Manager which I quite liked.

Sparks

Mambo and Joomla. Trying to upgrade one site from Mambo to Joomla but someone else was admin for a year and was playing with the database directly... argh...

Status
Not open for further replies.