Which countries would you block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you were going to stop users from certain countries registering on a forum ie. to avoid spammers, which countries would you block?

louie

Will the answers not be "racial" or "discriminatory"?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Huh?

I'm talking about blocking spam. I personally don't allow email from a lot of Asia near my own mail server either - which is pure pragmatism

nevf

and not stereotyping because they're black or anything, but just thata ny website that i will make in the near future won't be aimed at that market, and also that them countries have the highest level of phishers and spammers.

jmcc

I suppose the happy-clappies will complain but they can go fsck themselves because they are not paying the bills. Sysadmins tend to have a nuclear mindset - if a country is causing a problem, nuke it. If you can't make that decision without hesitation, you've no business being a Sysadmin.

Regards...jmcc

Briask

Instead of banning certain countries, why not go to the flip side of the discussion and only allow entry to the countries that you are targetting for the site.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Instead of banning certain countries, why not go to the flip side of the discussion and only allow entry to the countries that you are targetting for the site.

Because the problem countries are a small finite list

johned

On my dating site the scamers are mainly coming from the ivory coast and nigeria also through Turkish proxies. Some isps turn a blind eye to it apparently.

I also win the lottery about twice a day recently and its always coming from holland.

Its a tough call blocking a country as you also block genuine people. You would be better of denying the IP ranges of known spammers, isp's etc. Google for htaccess lists.

robototitico

Remember that party poker ad with the African tribesman kicking ass? He's not going to be happy if he can no longer get his online gambling fix.

TheMenace

Russia would be another one. There's no point in being 'right on' about it. Just block them and leave some contact details for genuine registrants.

Busarus

i block all .ru and .pl email addresses from registering on any forums i control

unblocked, you can have a couple of hundred registrations a week trying to spam the boards

starfire

isnt that a bit unfair thinking of all the polish people leaving here
Also Poland is one of the largest countries in Europe with a large market base

Status
Not open for further replies.