Administrator
Staff member
So which languages do you use?

If I've left out any please let me know and I will edit the options accordingly

NB: You can choose more than one

Gavin

HTML for me only, I need to buy some books :eek:

Gavin

Ha! Do you mind if I ask what Amazon script you are using? I see it on Geektoys as well and it looks very clean.

georgiecasey

XHTML, PHP and a bit of Java. I've never used any of the MS offerings, could anyone tell me the difference between ASP and ASP.net?

Cormac, in my experience, I learn little from books alone, I just learn what I need as I go along. Take on a project that needs use of one those languages and just make it work. No point knowing loads of languages that you don't use and make money off.

louie

I've started with basic html (7 years ago), then moved to asp creatting dynamic websites (5 yrs ago), when last year (because of blacknight laughing at me .. cough) i started php, which i tought is going to be very hard having so many years working with asp, but the move over was so easy. Few books and with the help of google, got the hang of it in just few weeks

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
So none of you have tried Ruby On Rails yet?
I'm surprised. I thought that was the "thing" :p

louie

Since the last time I was talking to you, I put it on my list, but is not going to happen very soon as I have too much on my plate for the moment.

georgiecasey

Lol, ruby on rails definetely is "in" alright. I couldn't be bothered looking into it, PHP suits me fine, why would I change.

rsynnott

Mostly Python (either with self-written light framework under mod_python, or with Django), Common Lisp with tbnl (shame on you, you left it out :) ), or Ruby on Rails. In the past I have also used PHP (so horrible I can barely conceal my loathing), ASP (ditto, more or less), Struts (a Java/JSP MVC framework; not bad) and ASP.NET (also not bad). Also perl (and C!) cgi, years and years ago.

The website I'm currently making money out of, sadly, is a PHP nightmare I wrote a few years ago. I keep meaning to port it to python.

rsynnott

Hmm. First of all, it's possible for people to learn just enough to hang themselves in it without actually learning to program. Minor point.

Weak typing. So, for instance, 1=='1' evaluates to true. Which is silly. - Big problem

No namespaces (and apparently may not even be added for php6) - big problem

No error on using undeclared variables. So if you type $cat where you meant to type $can, it won't, by default, warn. - big problem

Built-in functions are a complete basket-case, with multiple functions for doing the same thing, inconsistent naming, inconsistent argument orders, etc - big problem

magic_quotes and register_globals - silliness. (though neither are now default)

Extremely weird scoping.

No proper unicode.

No real arrays.

Ugly.

I could go on.

georgiecasey

Hmm. First of all, it's possible for people to learn just enough to hang themselves in it without actually learning to program. Minor point.
whats wrong with that, all you want is for people to be able to get things done

Weak typing. So, for instance, 1=='1' evaluates to true. Which is silly. - Big problem

No error on using undeclared variables. So if you type $cat where you meant to type $can, it won't, by default, warn. - big problem

Built-in functions are a complete basket-case, with multiple functions for doing the same thing, inconsistent naming, inconsistent argument orders, etc - big problem

magic_quotes and register_globals - silliness. (though neither are now default)
agree with the points quoted there, dont understand the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.