• JSP

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Ruby on Rails

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodshape

So far my sites have been in PHP and/or xHTML with CSS... with bits of Javascript where needed.

Peer pressure has convinced me to have a look at RoR recently. Not bad at all but I'm not looking forward to the learning curve. Still though, even if I don't end up adopting it full time, learning another language at this point can only be a good thing, so I'll persevere.

kevd

Basic PHP and javascript, Using the mootools library alot lately... oh and (X)HTML if we're counting that. New years Resolutions, gotta get stuck into PHP a bit more

vijay

I am using html and asp.Now i am getting interested in .net.There is a confusion in my mind that which will be suitable to learn .net through VB or threw c#

dereko

Well the .NET'ers are there just not in this community. I think the type of personality that works with open source languages are more likely to be on this forum... ( an off the wall statement I'm sticking to)

PHP / Java for me.

I think anyone learning PHP before learning any other programming language is not making proper scalable organized code. They simply don't have the theory behind what they are trying to do.

An organised Software Engineer can make very scalable software/web applications with PHP. Thats not to say PHP is without its faults. It's about using the tools they have at their disposal in a proper way and that doesn't just mean using Object Orient programming.

I think it's important to distinguish between a PHP programmer and a person who uses it for web scripting. While they are both using PHP they are doing two very different jobs.

Tried a little bit of RoR and looks good but the quote that you can do something in 10 lines that PHP can does in 100 is right but what happens is you want to configure it to do something different to its default way of doing things. Now all of a sudden it takes just as long for you to do what you wanted to do in PHP it just means you are coming from the top down instead of the bottom up. Any real web project will require allot of this so I think this common statement over sells it a bit for someone coming to it for the first time.

I sometimes think that maybe I should change to .NET/C# as there are a lot of good things happening with it and its more commercially acceptable for large business. Ultimately a good .NET developer is going to make more money than a good PHP developer from a career perspective. As a company with the shortage of PHP developers in Ireland it maybe a decision I have to make sooner rather than later.

...end rant

matt@fintekweb

I've used Perl, PHP and the Java family (JSP, JSTL etc) and I find PHP to strike the right balance. One thing that catches me out a lot is the fact that it's a pig to debug at times!

link8r

we use PHP for run of the mill websites and ASP.net for Web Applications, particularly client-rich or windows-apps-replacement projects. ASp.net does have a very powerful, rich, easy to manage control set. It's also compilable, works with MSSQL (which is very powerful), has fantastic controls and great reporting. It is also easier to rollout (no one can take your source code).

I'm not saying PHP can't do all of these things - ASP.net just is a bigger, richer development platform.

kjf

I use Ruby on Rails for larger web apps and the ruby Sinatra web framework for small apps which only need to do one thing.

UTD Web

PHP is such a great language for getting sites up and running quickly, I wouldn't look past it for even large scale deployments...

There hasn't been an instance yet where it hasn't covered my needs via some quick function call... even with back-end image manipulation it's great.

I used to program predominantly in C++, then VB6, then Java, then C#, then Java again and since I moved to PHP I haven't looked back.

Dublin Domainer

I'd love to learn all that stuff, but at my age (62) I've taken a shortcut by putting up my first mini-site with XSitePro2 - I finally found something I could understand. OK, I know it's not really what you're all talking about and doesn't make me a real webmaster, and it mightn't be to everyone's taste, but it suits me fine for the moment. At least it allows me to have a presence on the web. If you want to take a pitying look, the address is www.divinerevelation.info. And before you decide I've got religion, read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.