Which software package? Long newbie post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Guvnor

Hi all,

We plan to launch an e-commerce website this year - October sometime, all going well.

The site will not be big (data, bandwith) initially. Will have the usual contact us etcetera information and the products, 20-30 items at the start. A lot of the products will have multiple variations in pack size. In the most extreme case one product could have 4 flavours and 8 pack sizes in each flavour.

Given that the sites purpose will be to generate sales - one would assume we are better looking at an ecommerce package such as magento over the likes of drupal. What do you guys think?

I mention Drupal as it appears to be the favoured choice over the likes of:

Joomla
Concrete 5
Typo3

Likewise Magento seems to be in favour over packages like:

VirtueMart
Interspire
Squarespace
Prestashop
OS Commerce
Zen Cart

I have also looked at sites like goodbarry.com - the issue with these sites is that you are locked in with them. Their servers, software the lot and I am not sure how easy it is, if at all to move the site to another host. Goodbarry was recently sold to adobe and according to a mailshot their focus moving forward is on resellers not single users, so that alone would not fill me with confidence!

Is drupal or any cms package necessary for a site purely geared for selling products or is an e-commerce set up like Magento good enough?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

As the site is geared for taking orders we are thinking that we do not want to force the customer to register his/her details unless they wish to do so. IMO this can put people off especially on their first visit. What does anyone think?

One final question - all these open source systems - are they secure? I have concerns about potentially storing customers address, email details on effectively our site. We would envisage using realex and having the customer make the payment on the realex payment page rather than on our site. This negates our need for an ssl cert or not?

Apologies for all the newbie questions!

websitedesign

Magento is the best full features ecommerce CMS

If you don't require the full features maybe go with Modx and just insert PayPal 'buy now' buttons

The Guvnor

Thanks mate!

I was reading that magento can be a bit slow to load even with a good webhost?

We will require most of the features at an uneducated guess. Paypal would be an additional payment option rather than the only one.

host1plus

Magento slowness come from plugins quantity and file savin structure (you can select one of them before installing) Believe me, our clients love magento.

Status
Not open for further replies.