Why so hard to get .IE names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donal

I have got .IE domains for clients of mine and in the forms I am asked for my client to prove that they have the right to own this domain, asked for vat numbers ect.

Now I have seen domain names, which I will not mention here, that the owner has no inherent right to. They were purchased with the intention of, I assume, developing them later into sites that would make them money. nothing wrong with that. In fact that's what i want to do with a particular name. I quoted one chap, about two years ago, who had about a dozen .IE domain names, to develop them into ad sense sites. This guy was a salesman, not even in the tech business and he got them.

I purchased a .IE domain last month for a client, it turned out his vat number was registered to his wife, and I had to go back to my client to get permission for his wife to be put down as the owner. He was embarrassed and so was I. but still some guy's seem to get them no problem.

There was even a chap on the Joe Duffy show about a month ago, that had a .IE name and (I think)a government body wanted it. This guy was just sitting on it and his business had not a thing to do with the name.

So how do I get over these hard questions, as I have no inherent right to the name.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Basically you need to familiarise yourself with the IEDR's rules
The most common way that people / companies etc., get domains is using "discretionary" ie. providing a signed letter outlining their intentions for the domain

Of course if you want to avoid the bureaucracy just register a .co .eu or .me domain name - no paperwork required

paul

Ninja
As michelle says, once you understand the rules, you'll see you can register just about any type of domain, within reason. Things like place names are not allowed for obvious reasons, but besides that any fair use is possible.

Personally I'm happy with the system... as for the price... well that's another topic !

Status
Not open for further replies.