Wiki Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking for some form of wiki software.

Features needed:

• Editing
  • Good moderation ie. easily block spam, possibly even geoip blocking
  • SEO friendly URLs (ie. mod_rewrite)
I'm not overly concerned about the license - I'd pay for a commercial solution if it worked

link8r

I'd be interested in developing one though, just from designing it - not sure if there's much of a market/over crowding.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Ended up going with Mediawiki - partly because it ships with both Debian and Ubuntu :)

offloadit

How is mediawiki going for you? Are you having much trouble with SEO of the wiki sight? I am having fierce trouble with it. I added a robots.txt file and want to add a sitemap but without SHELL access I cannot generate the built in Mediawiki Google site map generator.Any suggestions?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It's ok, though not exactly ideal - and I have shell access etc :)

You can use a variety of other tools to generate sitemaps, but I honestly think that people are getting too caught up with them. If you create a prominent link to mediawiki's own "normal" sitemap you'll find that pages are being indexed anyway ....

offloadit

Since my post above in 2010 I have been using mediawiki for two of my websites and have found it to be excellent. It is a cinch to add content. I recently upgraded to the latest version 1.18.3 (1.19 is available in beta mode) which has a few user friendly extra features (compared with my previous version 1.15). SEO is quite good too. Plenty of extensions to assist. You still can't beat backlinks and unique content for SEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.