Wordpress plugin install / upgrade issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Playing around (or trying to) with a couple of Wordpress installs on one of my own machines

(so I have full root access etc)

I keep having really odd issues with automated plugin installs and upgrades

Main problem is that the error messages being thrown to screen are useless - they're just not verbose enough

eg.
Downloading install package from http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/sociable-30.5.07.zip…
Unpacking the package…
Installing the plugin…
Could not copy file. /home/www/xxxxxxxx/web/wp-content/plugins/sociable-30/images/default/16/mixx.png
Plugin install failed.

Other errors are just as "helpful"

It's not a permissions issue as it's using the FTP user of the directory etc.,

So where does Wordpress log this kind of stuff ? Or does it?

louie

That sounds like write/create directory permission issues...
I have upgraded few blogs in the last week and the upgrade was flowless...

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I wish it was ..
The wp-content directory has chmod 777 applied recursively ..

louie

try creating the directory manually and see if it goes pass that issue, but shouldn't these directories exists?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
try creating the directory manually and see if it goes pass that issue, but shouldn't these directories exists?
That's the entire problem

It shouldn't be trying to create /home - apart from anything else it has no reason to..

Seemingly removing the "upgrade" directory completely resolves the issue .. though I have no idea why ..

louie

Wordpress, being an excellent blog package, still has a lot of issues. In this case, first it checks to see if the directory (folder) exists and if not it will create one, but it might be clashing somewhere in the middle.
This function is new since 3.0 version.
Code:
/**
 * This function should not be called directly, use unzip_file instead. Attempts to unzip an archive using the ZipArchive class.
 * Assumes that WP_Filesystem() has already been called and set up.
 * @since 3.0.0
 * @see unzip_file
 * @access private
 * @param string $file Full path and filename of zip archive
 * @param string $to Full path on the filesystem to extract archive to
 * @param array $needed_dirs A partial list of required folders needed to be created.
 * @return mixed WP_Error on failure, True on success
 */
function _unzip_file_ziparchive($file, $to, $needed_dirs = array() ) {
}

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a bug ..

There's quite a few posts over on their forums about users have the same issue or very similar ones on a variety of setups.. .

louie

I have had a bigger problem few weeks ago, when one of the blogs I manage got hacked by injecting a js script at the top of the page.
Because whatever the user did, I could not upgrade the blog at all.
Search high and low and tried every solution found but none worked, so i had to delete all files & folders, download the latest WP and running an upgrade.
This time worked fine, but I have wasted 1/2 day doing something that should only take few minutes...

This is the reason I hate ready made packages. Too open to hackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.