Status
Not open for further replies.

reverbstudios

Has anybody used the Wordpress WP e-Commerce plugin from wordpress e-commerce plugin | Instinct Entertainment ?

Potentially its an awesome plugin that can allow a full e-commerce site in a much tidier and flashier way than OS commerce and it has all the functions you need but I've found it awfully buggy.

Image uploading and thumbnails are bizzare, I'm getting php errors all over the place and at one stage when I checked to see how everything looked in IE7, it was all invisible!

I've eventually got it to work kinda by messing around with different combinations of wordpress and plugin versions but I'd be interested hear others opinions and experiences.

davkell

Ya, I was trying to use it a couple of weeks back and got nowhere. I installed it on 2 versions of WP but every time I tried to add a category / product, I got the very useful message "Item not added"....which doesn't really help trying to figure out the problem. I remember searching the support forums at the time...but didn't get anywhere.

I reckon when I've more time I'll try and get back to it, because it does look useful for smaller sites that need limited ecomm support...

reverbstudios

Well I installed version 3.5.1 of the plugin on wordpress version 2.3.1 and got as close as I could to everything working! Still a few bugs though. I complained about all the problems on their forum and now I can't find the post, think they deleted it!

It says on their site that 55,000 sites use it so either its just us or theres 55,000 very patient or knowledgeable people out there.

danmilward

WP e-Commerce - Next Gen

Hi Guys. We're working hard and furiously to get the next version of WP e-Commerce up and running.

We've been working with an WordPress SEO expert to help make sure our next release is even more SEO friendly.

One thing I like about WP e-Commerce is the ability to display a whole product category into a page or a post. This means as a web developer you can take advantage of all the WordPress SEO features.

Also I only ever trash things on our forums if what is being posted is too emotionally fueled and not totally fair - or blatantly agaisnt our code of conduct. I would go to somebodies house and spray paint on their wall "you suck"... that would just be mean :p

Anyway. I'm approachable, email me on dan@instinct.co.nz if you want to talk about WP e-Commerce in more depth.

reverbstudios

You tracked me down dude, Google alerts or Trackbacks!?

I suppose you could say my post on your forum was emotionally fueled alright since I spent most of the week trying to get your latest release workin on the latest wordpress release and couldn't get anywhere. I hate when things don't work as they should even when they're free...(I have sent you some money though!)

Anyhow, its still a great plugin and its workin good enough for me as of now at Slattery’s Home so the moaning is over!

So how do you display a category in a page or post then or is that just in your new version?

danmilward

You've got to love google alerts ;)

In the next ver there will be a TinyMC icon that you click. If you click on the icon it will open a popup window that lets you choose a category to display in that page.

Ciao,

Dan

RedCardinal

Anyhow, its still a great plugin and its workin good enough for me as of now at Slattery’s Home so the moaning is over!

Interesting. I'll check out how well the plugin works. I tried it many moons ago, but didn't spend much time on it.

One suggestion re slatteryswine.ie - I find it incredibly difficult to read the text. I reckon that older users would have an even harder time. The background might look nice, but it isn't improving my experience on the site. Far from it I'm afraid. Hope that might help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.