Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Murray

This seems to be appears to be a passionate area and as a result i'm almost afraid to post my question.

I noticed this thread appear to start by slating sites using video on their homepage.

I recently posted a question in webmaster help/ webmaster discussion about best practice etc for using movies on a website.

Is there any guidance out there? after all i want to try and avoid ending up being reviewed as the worst site of the week.....

jsweb

Hi Joe,

I don't see anything wrong with media (video etc) if used in the correct manner.

Take for example Apple - MacBook Air

They run Guided Tours for customers which is video.

The important element is to allow the site visitor to make the decision (click to view/watch)

....nobody likes to be in their office and without warning a video starts playing with audio shouting out making the whole office turn around to stare at you ;)

link8r

This seems to be appears to be a passionate area and as a result i'm almost afraid to post my question.

I noticed this thread appear to start by slating sites using video on their homepage.

I recently posted a question in webmaster help/ webmaster discussion about best practice etc for using movies on a website.

Is there any guidance out there? after all i want to try and avoid ending up being reviewed as the worst site of the week.....

Video works well - just don't put your whole site into it. Some *quick* tips for using Video:

1. Make sure it doesn't auto-play - 99% of sites don't play video automatically (particularly sound). Leave it up to the user
2. Make sure your content is available in text form
3. Break video into smaller segments so that users can get more appropriate content.
4. By all means put video into youtube. Dont put video into difficult to download or not frequently supported formats - if you feel your video is better displayed in a particular but not common format, give users the choice of a more popular and easier to use format too

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
This thread has run its course. It's been running for about 3 years now, so it's time to move on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.