Status
Not open for further replies.

garycocs

Hi Lads,

So basically the plan for this one is:

Simple Web 2.0 site where users can upload their photos and everyone can rate them whether or not they think the person is kissable (I hate that word) they can leave comments etc etc.

I'm looking for the most simple straight forward way of setting this up, background is I've a few other things ont he go, ratemypub as ever, ballygarvangaa the freebie that's more work than it's worth and a few doctor sites. Soooooooo I don't have that much time for exploring and learning massive new tools.

I've been exploring (very basic stuff) Movable Types as a CMS to use for this but again it seems a bit over complicated for what I need (at the moment struggling with theme packs, i.e. there doesn't seem to be any!)

I was thinking modding a wordpress, I can do bits n pieces of that cause of the ballygarvan gaa work, a social networking app, a turnkey site, pay 100 notes for something etc etc

Would appreciate any help people can give me regarding all of this.

Thanks
Gary

Would you kiss .me

n3tFl0w

A very very very simple way to do this would be to create a post for every image uploaded.

On wordpress I know there's couple of post rating plugins. I'm sure its the same for movable press. Im sure they have some builtin functionailty to display posts in order of rating.

Plus there's a load of things you can do with a bit of php magic.

Back a while ago(about 5 years) I did a similar kind of rating website as a personal project in php. Turned out pretty good then.

It might work so simply that it will be genius.

Its a nice domain name and would be a shame for it to fall by the wayside.

garycocs

Ya I'm thinking will I just pay for a nice template from template monster and build something simple? Might be the best thing to do.

Also have willyoukiss.me thinking fo a dating site for that one!

I guess I'm very interested in the facebook connections and what not as this seems to be the way things are going at the moment.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Have you had a look over on hotscripts for one of those "hot or not" scripts?

johned

I have an irish dating site with nearly 400 genuine members that i started a year ago to go on my adsense network. It gets bombed by scammers and not worth the hassle. Infact I will sell it to you if your interested :)

Blacknight is right i would use a rate me script and get it up and running with no hassle.

Alternativly a basic mysql table with userid, yes as int, no as int, pictureid etc. display the pics with yes no butons under each. On the buton click add 1 to yes or no then divert them to random members or use a form and pagination to display the results.

If it just a case of yes or no it would be simple enuf in php but a ready made solution would give you and the users a backend that would take a bit of time, cofee and beta to do yourself.

garycocs

Haha if only I had the time to enjoy coding! (The nerd in me obviously loves it!)

Ya sod exclusive rights, not too pushed if someone somewhere finds a similar looking site! I just can't design anything to save my life!!!

shaneod

A lot of those monster sites have HUGE headders. Some great ideas for designs otherwise, i just like the page to change when you change page without having to scroll down to see the content.

Status
Not open for further replies.