Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

Which permalink structure is best used for both SEO and SEM purposes in your opinion?

I'm currently using /%category%/%postname%.eire on my main blog.
The

I have seen a blog using the following structure -
category/03-04-2007/postname/ and I think it works better than my structure in a way since it includes the date which gives an indication on how fresh the content is, however it uses the European format for date and may confuse American visitors.

What are your thoughts on the best permalink structure?

RedCardinal

In an ideal world I'd go for /%postname% - never more than one level deep :)

It might take some hacking though.

paul

Ninja
Is there an easy way to write a redirect if you start to change this ? As in so the old links work

Cormac

Richard,
What is the structure you use to get the date in European format in your titles?

Thomas Holmes

Is there an easy way to write a redirect if you start to change this ? As in so the old links work

Hey Paul - Just add the following to your .htaccess file:

Redirect permanent /old/address/ http://www.yourdomain.com/new/address/

For example on my site I have one:

Redirect permanent /yclick.it/ecommerce-live-chat-service/ Answer Your Visitors’ Questions through a Live Chat *|*logic+intuition

SEOmoz have a good article on doing redirects properly for SEO. They do it slightly differently to above but I think this is more straight-forward.

johnmryan

Yes, I had really long ones, and was afraid to change it because of the Loss in traffic due to the incorrect indexing by google. But there is a wordpress plugin that works wonders; it does something like telling search engines that the URl for that post has changed permanently.

But i noticed many blogs have very long permalinks for there posts - much too long. Aside from SEO - it generally looks better - and is easier to bookmark!

submitshop

301 Google redirection works fine! I have implemented it on many sites and one was the complete SEO Forum redirected to another domain, PR and Pages bothe transferred!

Status
Not open for further replies.