Status
Not open for further replies.

BusinessPages

Hi Folks

We are a new Online Yellow Pages and Shopping Directory and we are hoping to go live in the next month or so. Few bugs and changes left to do but just looking for some feedback, good and bad!!

www.BusinessPages.ie/step1.php

Thanks

Scott

Redfly

Hi Folks

We are a new Online Yellow Pages and Shopping Directory and we are hoping to go live in the next month or so. Few bugs and changes left to do but just looking for some feedback, good and bad!!

BusinessPages.ie - Irelands Online Yellow Pages, Business and Shopping Directory

Hi Scott,
Apart from nearly everything being broken, session IDs in the URLs and non-Irish websites in there, what exactly sets you apart from the (literally) hundreds of other directory sites? Why would someone choose to use your site and more importantly, why would someone choose to advertise on your site?

Why would a user or a business use your site over say, Google, Yellopages.ie, local.ie, search.ie or whatswhat.ie?

Not trying to have a go at you here, just curious as the market research you did to lead you to build this site? You say "We" plan to go live, there's a few of you? Is this a hobby site or do you have a business plan?

There are a LOT of directory sites out there, hundreds of thousands, you're going to have to offer something VERY special if you want yours to stand out. Of the hundreds of thousands of other directories, over the years, nobody has been able to achieve this. Are you sure you can?

Again, not having a pop, I really wish you well.

Thanks

Scott

BusinessPages

Hi Dave

Many thanks for the feedback :) some answers to your questions...

Apart from nearly everything being broken

BusinessPages.ie - yep still a few bugs there and we are fixing these over the next few weeks, would not say everything is broken you can still do a search for many different categories

session IDs in the URLs

BusinessPages.ie - Will feed this back to my developer.

and non-Irish websites in there

BusinessPages.ie - Yes there are many non irish websites in there but we only include website's which will deliver to Ireland so even if you are an online golf, clothes, Lingerie shop etc etc...the list goes on.....and you deliver to ireland why not include them??

what exactly sets you apart from the (literally) hundreds of other directory sites?

BusinessPages.ie - We are the only directory to include a full free listing please see BusinessPages.ie - Irelands Online Yellow Pages, Business and Shopping Directory

Our premium packages are very cheap compared to ( goldenpages.ie -their most expensive package is around €3500) and we offer some fantastic features such as click to call and click to text button, video clip, google map, picture slide show and lots lots more.

Why would someone choose to use your site and more importantly, why would someone choose to advertise on your site?

BusinessPages.ie - As above

Why would a user or a business use your site over say, Google, Yellopages.ie, local.ie, search.ie or whatswhat.ie?

BusinessPages.ie - as above, we are cheaper and offer many many more features then whatswhat for example.

"We" plan to go live, there's a few of you? Is this a hobby site or do you have a business plan?

BusinessPages.ie - Both

Are you sure you can?

BusinessPages.ie - No idea but will give it a shot :)

thanks

Scott

I think there is room in the market for more business listing in Ireland.

However do not be fooled by your competitors printed package prices, only a 'Plonker Rodney' pays list. It is easy to get a 50% discount on their quoted costs.

I hope you have taken this into account in your business model. People expect discounts. Resellers want a percentage and can drive your business with very little effort from your office.

The site itself:

A very frustrating part of online business listings is not finding the right category for your business, you can easily implement this... 'suggest a category'
I could not find relevant subsections, eg. 'Outdoor Advertising, Creative Advertising, Marketing Agency' An Advertising Agency (Practical campaign management and implementation) is VERY different to a Marketing Agency (Research and Developing a Med to Long term plan to achieve business goals through communication).

I would be happy to help you direct your business into a suitable niche. Do you have a business plan you can post for review?

ivanovitch

Yet another directory.

When I'm looking for something in need I go straight to bendunne.com (joke).

Surely people realise that there is more to life than directories.

What's exactly is Google if it's not already doing that?

I've spent a lifetime in print publishing and the amount of people that thought they'd make money charging other people to advertise their wares and failed could be stacked ten miles high.

Folks, it's content that people want. They want to know how Britney's children are this week or how often Beyonce and Jay-Zee (Zed if you're Irish) have a bit of rumpy.

Craig's List beat you all to it twenty years ago.

Money pit!

Yet another directory.

Surely people realise that there is more to life than directories.

Folks, it's content that people want. They want to know how Britney's children are this week or how often Beyonce and Jay-Zee (Zed if you're Irish) have a bit of rumpy.

You are wrong. People want content. Business wants useful tools to promote their products and services. Business is a directories client base, not the general public. If you want a plumber you do not look one up in Nuts magazine.

This man has clearly put a lot of time and effort into making this site, he needs advice on improvement not your personal opinion on what is in heat magazine this week.

Compared to the UK, Ireland does not have a comprehensive business listing service.

RE your site Scott
I suggest you take a long hard look at the FreeIndex for inspiration. I found it a refreshing change to the boring YellowPages format.

Best of luck with your site

Status
Not open for further replies.